Valley View Villas.JPG

Entrance to Valley View Villas, an apartment residence near the University of New Mexico, on Feb. 5, 2020.

The View offers paperless options

(07/02/20) EDITOR'S NOTE: This article has been updated to correct factual inaccuracies.

This change now encourages residents to pay online via the View’s ABQ resident portal. This option is meant to be eco-friendly and monitor payments more accurately.

Before, there were options of turning in a check or money order in-person to make payments. The move to online payments was to make tracking easier according to Brooklyn Hatley, an employee at the View.

Hatley works at the front desk and helps residents with problems or questions they have. She said there have been situations in the past where money orders or checks were lost or never turned in. 

“It's more for a legal reason just in case, that way everyone in the situation is held accountable. That way we won't have anybody come back on our part and say we lost something or we did that… that way everyone is held responsible for their payment just if there ever is a mix-up,” Hatley said. 

Hatley said there are no additional fees to pay online compared to money orders. To pay online they must either pay with a card which is almost a $7 service fee or send an e-check for a $1.95 fee. The goal is to help the planet and promote environment-friendliness and support residents to do so. 

Hatley added that the general reaction of residents to this paperless movement has been positive. 

“We have mostly good reactions, I wouldn’t say we’ve had any bad reactions maybe just some confusion. But we have sent out flyers, sent out emails, and we’ve had multiple papers around the office that explain why we are doing it this way,” Hatley said.

Hatley added: “We are trying to always encourage our residents to be eco-friendly. We give all of the residents eco-friendly paper and encourage them to save energy and help the planet.” 

The View ABQ has also created a resident portal app for people to pay their rent by mobile phone and to also submit work orders for maintenance, beginning in April.

Bianca Hoops is a beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Bianca_Hoops