State of the University.jpg

President Garnett S. Stokes held State of the University address on Thursday Jan. 25.

Student employees to receive pay through May 15

University of New Mexico student employees were just given a big promise. 

University President Garnett Stokes announced in an email March 31 that student employees who meet eligibility requirements will be paid through the rest of the semester, regardless of whether or not they are actively working. 

“Some of you may still be working while others may not,” the email read. “Regardless, please know that the University values you.”

This update comes among a slew of changes to the University’s operations to respond to the coronavirus pandemic. As of the publication of this article, COVID-19 cases have crept to 315 in the state, with 129 cases in Bernalillo county. 

Though all the details are not yet available, Stokes said pay will persist through May 15 for most bi-weekly student employees. UNM’s non-student staff are designated to a similar guaranteed pay model, as previously reported by the Daily Lobo. 

In order to receive this pay, Stokes said students must continue to meet eligibility requirements, such as being enrolled for at least six credit hours for the remainder of this semester. The email indicated that students will be paid based on their pre-coronavirus schedules. 

Stokes directed students seeking additional information to email stuemp@unm.edu and said the Student Employment Office will provide follow-up communications. 

This announcement comes as college students have expressed concern over the looming federal stimulus package on social media, which expected to exclude dependents over the age of 18 — a sizable margin of college students. 

Over 31,000 New Mexicans filed new unemployment claims last week alone, according to the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions. 

This is a developing story. 

Alyssa Martinez is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @amart4447