johnson gym interior.jpg

The new weight room of the recently remodeled Johnson Gym.

5 and Why: 5 best things to do over summer break

Lounging in the shade of the Duck Pond on a sunny Monday afternoon were two UNM students, Rose Hurlow and Margaret Glasgow, who agreed to let Daily Lobo readers in on their idea of the best five things to do over summer break.

As a second-year master’s student and a Ph.D. candidate respectively, both agreed that this summer is a time for relaxation. Listed below are their top five favorite activities this summer break.

River Surfing

River surfing is an exciting way to explore different parts of the state, and Glasgow said they both enjoy surfing in New Mexico and Colorado. 

“It’s the desert and you can go surfing, which is kind of awesome,” Glasgow said.

Glasgow talked about the community that stems from surfing, and reiterated that this is an activity they both love doing often.

“We also are seeking out waves that aren’t man-made so we take our surfboards and we just have floated down parts of the Rio Grande looking for places where we can surf,” Glasgow said.

Indoor Destinations

Being able to go inside shops and restaurants is something that the public wasn’t easily able to do last summer due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, Hurlow is enjoying shopping and eating out again with the lessened public health restrictions.

Hurlow said some of her favorite places to go to are thrift stores, specifically Savers, and breweries. Originally from Salt Lake City, Utah, Hurlow said there’s “more of an abundance of breweries” in Albuquerque along with looser liquor laws. Some of her favorite local places include High and Dry Brewing and La Cumbre Brewing Co.

Hurlow also mentioned that her Nintendo Switch is an easy way to relax out of the heat, playing games like “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild” or, more recently, “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.”

Johnson Gym

Every day, Hurlow and Glasgow make a trip to UNM’s newly renovated Johnson Gym, and Hurlow commented on how few people have been going over summer. After a quick reservation online, students can go to multiple facilities that the gym offers.

“It’s basically like a private gym right now,” Hurlow said.

Hurlow hadn’t been to the gym before the renovations, but Glasgow said the difference is clear. A specific improvement is the new weight room, which provides for more floor space and ventilation that wasn’t available in the weight section before.

“Compared to the last time I went, it’s so much better now,” Glasgow said.

Productivity at Home

After coming home from a day of work, Hurlow likes to maintain the day’s productivity by continuing to be active. This ranges from cooking dinner to settling down with a book — the most recent being the “Cormoran Strike” novels under J.K. Rowling’s pen name, Robert Galbraith.

“Having time to read — not just for school — is nice,” Hurlow said.

Even focusing on her research without the distraction of classes is another avenue of productivity that Harlow enjoys partaking in.

Biking

Hurlow’s main mode of transportation is biking, even amid summer heat. Because Hurlow lives close to campus, it’s easy for her to ride over and get work done.

The passion originated as an undergraduate student when a roommate was able to get her a nice bike. Hurlow started biking to work then and never stopped, finding an unexpected activity she enjoys.

From exercising to lounging at home to so much more, this summer break is full of opportunities for students to explore what they enjoy most.

Megan Gleason is the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @fabflutist2716