This review contains spoilers for “Halloween” (2018) and “Halloween Kills”

“Halloween Kills” was released mid-October as the second film in the rebooted “Halloween” trilogy. The first film in this reboot, “Halloween” (2018), left me with soaring expectations for this movie, but a boring anti-plot and ever-so-predictable ending made me wish I hadn’t seen “Halloween Kills” at all.

The timeline for the “Halloween” movies is complicated and stuffed full of remakes by different directors from the last 40 years so, for clarity purposes, everything discussed in this review will be limited to 2018 and beyond. At the end of the last movie, main antagonist Michael Myers was trapped in a burning building, and it looked like he died. However, little clues revealed he would probably live to kill another day. This ending was predictable, but the movie itself was exciting and filled with thrills.

“Halloween Kills” starts off minutes after 2018’s “Halloween” ended, and hero Laurie Strode (played by Jamie Lee Curtis) is in the hospital recovering from stab wounds incurred during a dramatic fight with Myers. Strode takes comfort in knowing that she ended Myers once and for all, only for chaos to ensue when Myers begins killing once again. The main issue with this movie is the distracted plot. Yes, the townspeople try to hunt down Myers but, at the same time, there’s an escaped mental hospital patient whom people believe to be Myers.

This aspect of the storyline was completely unnecessary, and the producers spent a good chunk of time showing people chasing this random, innocent guy. I can understand the idea behind it, which is that Myers’ killing streak has tainted the souls of the people of the town and made them overly cautious and cruel, but the execution was poor and it seemed like a way to fill up minutes.

Another problem is who filmmakers decided to make the hero of the story. Curtis as Laurie was entirely underutilized and, instead, it’s the character’s daughter and granddaughter who execute the brunt of the heroics. All three women had motive for wanting to end Myers for good, but it was Laurie’s fight to finish.

The biggest plot twist was Strode’s daughter Karen Nelson’s (played by Judy Greer) murder. Normally, this is something I could get behind, but because I didn’t find her particularly likable, Karen’s death didn’t carry any sort of shock factor. 

“Halloween Kills” couldn’t end Myers definitively for obvious reasons (they have a trilogy to complete, damn it!) but filmmakers were clearly running out of ideas on how to keep him alive. This movie gave Myers supernatural powers as the excuse for his continued survival, and even as he’s shot, stabbed and beaten, he gets up and kills everyone.

This weird and sudden characterization takes away from the point of the movie in the first place: a killer is just a person, and they could be lurking right under your nose. There isn’t even a question of whether Myers dies at the end; he skulks off into the night and that’s that. 

If this trilogy wants to redeem itself, it’s going to have to give Curtis a chance to play to her strengths as a jaded, thirsty-for-revenge mother who just happens to be one of the greatest original scream queens of all time.

Emma Trevino is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @itsemmatr