Lobos women’s basketball stomps Boise State on Senior Night

The University of New Mexico women’s basketball team celebrated a big win against the Boise State Broncos on Saturday, Feb. 19, defeating them 89-62. The win comes after a previous win at home against Utah State on Wednesday, Feb. 16 and puts the Lobos at 13-3 on the season. 

The larger focus on the court, though, was on seniors LaTascya and Latora Duff and Shaiquel McGruder and “super seniors” Jaedyn De La Cerda and Antonia Anderson as the team celebrated their Senior Night.

The game was De La Cerda and Anderson’s last game at The Pit. The COVID-19 pandemic created a unique situation for the Duff twins and McGruder, though, as they will be returning to play for UNM next season.

De La Cerda seemed to channel her emotions into her playing, putting up 20 points and two steals for the game. Anderson had an easier time on the defensive side of the ball, picking up five rebounds and two steals.

Boise State’s Dominique Leonidas scored the most baskets for the Mustangs, getting her team a total of 18 points. Abby Muse put up a solid 11 rebounds for Boise’s defense, but the team just couldn’t find their rhythm in the first or second half.

The Lobos currently sit at second in the Mountain West conference, only behind the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. To be tied for the top spot, the Lobos would need to win both their upcoming away games against California State University, Fresno on Wednesday, Feb. 23 and San José State University on Friday, Feb. 25, while UNLV would need to lose at least two of their last three matches.

John Scott is the managing editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @JScott050901