REVIEW: Florist brings unique and inviting melodies to Meow Wolf

Last Tuesday night, Brooklyn-based indie folk band Florist performed at Meow Wolf in Santa Fe. The band's mellow and peaceful sound, created by mixing collected ambient noises and music, made for a lovely and unique concert.

The show's runtime, while short, did not disappoint in the slightest. The performance was cohesive, showing off the band’s collective strength as one entity, allowing the instrumentals, vocals and other sounds to support and aid one another rather than compete for prominence.

The openers Marc Merza and Diatom Deli likewise put on captivating performances — especially Taos artist Deli, whose visuals corresponding with her performance were entrancing and gorgeous.

The interactive art space of Meow Wolf is visually loud and active — it is not unusual that the bands that perform in the venue give performances just as loud and captivating as the installation itself. That being said, Florist’s performance delivered an unforgettably contrasting experience with the venue itself; the band's slow and relaxed songs created a beautiful dichotomy between venue and concert.

The crowd clearly felt the same. There was never a moment where the audience was not meditatively swaying to the beat, making it evident that the band has a welcoming, supportive group of fans in the state.

Madeline Pukite is the managing editor at the Daily Lobo. They can be contacted at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @maddogpukite

Katrina Estrada is the multimedia editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at multimediaeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Katrina_Est4

Katrina Estrada

Katrina Estrada is the photo editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Katrina_Est4