5 and Why.jpg

Will Kane, a student at UNM, poses in front of the Student Residence Center apartments.

5 and why: 5 fab date ideas in Albuquerque

Time to pull out all the tops to woo that special someone. While it can be difficult for some to think up creative dates worthy of the one they love, University of New Mexico junior Will Kane has you covered as he lists his top five favorite date ideas in the Albuquerque area.

Zoo Date

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my: Kane said a trip to the BioPark makes for a fantastic date. Kane himself went on a first date to the zoo last year and said it gave him the perfect opportunity to walk and talk with his date while taking in the exciting sights.

“But also, it’s like, if you aren’t really interested in the person, you still get to see an elephant or something,” Kane said.

Along with being a universally loved experience for all except exhausted toddlers, the BioPark offers discounted tickets for Albuquerque residents and frequently holds special events, including an upcoming after-hours aquarium event on Oct. 14 complete with drinks, hor d'oeuvres and oh-so adorable fishies.

Paint Night

Kane suggested you “grab some canvases, grab some paint” and plan your own paint night. Great fun no matter your painting expertise, a paint night may be just the way to have a great night in and brush up on those shading skills you learned in middle school art class.

Another option for the artistically inclined would be to go to one of Albuquerque’s many local painting studios. Art Attack on San Mateo offers a variety of pottery options to paint with that special someone and take home a special piece of your own.

Walk on Central

Soaking up the sights and sounds of Central Avenue also makes for an exciting romp for couples, according to Kane. With countless things to do and perfect proximity to UNM’s main campus, there is never a dull moment with a date like this.

“It’s super, super fun. Probably going during the daytime is best because that’s when all of the stores are open and it’s probably safest. But there’s a lot of fun stores there: coffee shops, cute things, such and such,” Kane said.

Nob Hill is packed with so many date options that it is difficult to pin down just one spot; take a trip down to Avenger’s Vintage for some exciting clothing finds, grab coffee at local staple Satellite Coffee or catch an independent film at the Guild Cinema, all in an easy walk down the street.

Take a trip to the Sandia Crest

Exploring the gorgeous landscape of Albuquerque is an absolute must, worthy of a partner as beautiful as the mountains. To Kane, a trip to the Sandia Crest is a worthy endeavor for impressing that special someone.

“The Crest is beautiful. Yeah, that’s very romantic. Probably at sunset … At sunset it looks really beautiful. Maybe go for a quick hike,” Kane said.

If hiking is your cup of tea, UNM Recreational Services offers a variety of outdoor gear rentals, excursion planning and other outdoor resources for couples who just can’t get enough of the great outdoors.

La Po dinner date

Of course, no date is as classic as a romantic dinner. Kane suggested sitting down with your love over a nourishing meal at La Posada and gazing into each other’s eyes under the warm fluorescent lights.

“That’s probably gotta be number one just because of obvious reasons: very romantic implications, very good food, just in general a great time,” Kane said.

On top of the unmatched ambience of this UNM staple, it is the perfect budget option for students already paying for the exorbitant university meal plans.

With Kane’s surefire date plans in your pocket, true romance is just around the corner. Go on and ask out that crush: a second date is certain with these tips in tow.

Zara Roy is the copy chief at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at copychief@dailylobo.com