DSC_0488-2.jpeg

Tina Nisoli is a freshman studying nursing at the University of New Mexico. 

5 and why: 5 ways to get festive for the fall season

When I say “autumn,” what comes to mind? Pumpkins? Candy? Yellow leaves crunching beneath you? For those pining for seasonal festivities, University of New Mexico nursing freshman Tina Nisoli has shared her five favorite ways to get into the fall spirit.

Watching Holiday-Themed Movies

What better way to absorb yourself into the autumnal ambience than watching a film that evokes the tone. Nisoli personally suggests sitting down to watch your favorite fall film — although she is partial to Tim Burton.

“You could also do horror movies, but I feel like moreso, I like the “Nightmare Before Christmas” — anything Tim Burton,” Nisoli said.

She also recommended listening to the soundtracks from your favorite seasonal movies to keep up the atmosphere at all hours of the day.

Indulge in Fall Flavors

With the turning of the leaves comes the return of seasonal food and beverages. Nisoli likes to drink apple cider around this time, but no matter your choice, breaking out some of your favorite spiced fall fare might be just the thing to ring in the season.

The scented candle is, of course, another fall essential. Nisoli recommended stocking up on your favorites, particularly of the apple and pumpkin varieties.

“Getting pumpkin or apple scented candles to light and get that scent around your house … I honestly like any of them, but Yankee candles are always the best,” Nisoli said.

Spice up your living space

Decorating is a surefire method to get into the holiday spirit. Nisoli and her roommates recently put up fall decorations in an attempt to absorb themselves in the season.

“Decorating your house, like we just did, always puts you in it,” Nisoli said.

And what fall season would be complete without pumpkin carving? The passtime is a no-brainer for Nisoli, who sees it as a go-to fall activity that also makes the perfect outdoor decoration.

Dress for the occasion

With Halloween right around the corner, Nisoli finds great joy and festivity in planning out her own Halloween costume.

“I’m gonna be a vampire … costumes are kind of expensive so I had to build it … DIY (and) try to make it look like a vampire, but we’ll see when it comes in,” Nisoli said.

Once November hits, however, she plans to stay warm in other seasonal staples, including her Ugg boots, to match the style of the season.

Engaging in Seasonal Activities

For lovers of the season with a little more time on their hands, a visit to the pumpkin patch is an essential. Some of Nisoli’s favorite childhood memories come from her town’s Main Street trick or treat event, after which she’d visit a pumpkin patch.

“Some of them would convert their shop into … a haunted house and then you also, afterwards, could go to a pumpkin patch that was normally a fundraiser and pick out your pumpkin,” Nisoli said.

She hopes to visit McCall’s Pumpkin Patch this fall; for a less costly seasonal activity, Nisoli also mentioned that trick or treating is always fun (no matter your age.)

With Nisoli’s tips in mind, we hope that you are able to cool off from your school workload (and the everlasting heat of summer) with some cozy seasonal comforts.

Zara Roy is the copy chief at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at copychief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo