RedCarpet_01.jpg

UNM alumna Riley Del Rey (center) poses on the red carpet with the cast of "Capitol Barbie" for the premiere of its pilot episode at the Guild Cinema on June 27, 2021.

OPINION: Incorporating red carpet looks into your 2023 fashion

As the new year is well under way, so is award season. Whether you love or love to hate celebrity culture, there is no doubt that you have stumbled across some of the season’s most memorable red carpet looks. From Zendaya to Michelle Yeoh to Jenna Ortega, the biggest stars in Hollywood have given us all some much needed inspiration for our 2023 wardrobes. While many of us may never get the chance to walk a real red carpet (sigh), that doesn’t mean we can’t incorporate some of the glitz and glamour that we see on our favorite celebrities into our own outfit rotation.

One of the biggest award season trends this year has been fabric flowers — think Zendaya’s pink Valentino Screen Actors Guild Awards gown, or Lizzo’s orange Dolce & Gabbana Grammys ensemble.

Fabric flowers and floral patterns have been all the rage for celebrities as we enter spring: “Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking.” So, how can we incorporate this trend into our own closet if a Valentino haute couture gown is a little outside our budget? Simple: floral patterns are nothing new to the world of fashion — you probably already have some in your closet. One way to update this timeless motif is to look for pieces with fabric flowers already sewn on, or better yet, pin a fabric flower to a basic article of clothing or to a choker.

Following the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have left behind the era of athleisure and have instead opted for more “going out” looks. This desire for opulence has manifested on the red carpet in the form of textures and fabrics including satin, sequins and metallics. Some of the celebrities donning these looks have been Beyoncé and Taylor Swift at the Grammys, Jennifer Coolidge at the Golden Globes and Quinta Brunson at the SAG Awards.

How can we participate in this trend when we’re going to school, work or the grocery store? If you’re not comfortable wearing a sequin dress to run errands, or have yet to find the perfect satin button-up for work, consider accessorizing. Accessories can take a look from minimalist to extravagant in no time with little effort. A pair of satin gloves, a sequin purse or even metallic shoes may be just the thing you need to mimic your favorite celebrity without breaking the bank.

Due to their popularity over the last few years, articles of clothing with cutouts continue to be on trend in 2023. Celebrities like Aubrey Plaza at the SAG Awards, Lily James at the Golden Globes and Janelle Monáe at the Critics’ Choice Awards have each taken part in this trend in varying ways. Whether at the midriff, the chest or the hips, cutouts are so versatile that they can be appropriate for any occasion, can elevate any outfit and, with a simple Google search, can be very easy to find.

Although these styles are trending in fashion right now, it is important to remember that none of us are under any obligation to participate. Fashion is meant to be fun and a form of self-expression, so at the end of the day, the best things to wear are the things that make us feel the most comfortable, confident and even glamorous.

Sierra Martinez is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @sierraaspen11