Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
The Daily Lobo The Independent Voice of UNM since 1895
Latest Issue
Read our print edition on Issuu

Multimedia

Votes for Women.jpg
Culture

Zimmerman Library Women's History Month exhibit to remain open

As pieces of the University shut down, the Women’s History Month exhibit will remain open.  The University of New Mexico’s Zimmerman Library has been displaying an art exhibit “We Knew Exactly What You Wanted and WE. GOT. IT.” since March 2 and will continue through April 6 during regular business hours. On March 13, UNM President Garnett Stokes announced the University of New Mexico will be on an extended spring break until April 5 with limited University operations. Essentials such as Student Health and Counseling (SHAC), student housing and Zimmerman Library are expected to remain open.  This art exhibit is an educational timeline highlighting important women and movements in the women’s suffrage movement, in honor of Women’s History Month in March.


State of the University.jpg
News

UNM: Extended break will see ‘limited operations’ of staff

The University of New Mexico will reduce the number of employees on campus and instruct some staff to work from home — the latest measure to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. According to a press release from UNM President Garnett Stokes, staff will be notified Monday, March 16 if they will be asked to work from home.  “UNM employees are a critical and valued part of our community and will continue to be compensated during this period of limited operations,” the release said. 


The Setonian
News

What we know about COVID-19 and UNM so far

The University of New Mexico will be on spring break until April 5, according to UNM President Garnett Stokes.  Student Health and Counseling (SHAC), Residence Life and Student Housing, La Posada Dining Hall and Zimmerman Library will remain open throughout the extended break, according to University officials.  Down south, New Mexico State University (NMSU) followed other campuses and extended spring break by a week to curb the spread of the disease while remaining open for those dependent on-campus services, which was announced on March 13. New Mexico Tech also extended their spring break until March 23. 


Scavengerhunt .jpg
Culture

UNM Uni Nights canceled

The University of New Mexico has canceled Uni Nights for the remainder of the semester due to growing concerns about the novel coronavirus at UNM and around the state. The last three Uni Nights of the spring 2020 semester — Disco Night planned for March 27, Plant night planned for April 17 and Late-Night Breakfast planned for May 10 — have all been canceled and are being rescheduled. The Student Union Building released a statement on Facebook that said, “The Student Union has postponed the remaining spring programs due to the impact of the COVID-19 virus until further notice.”


University of New Mexico head baseball coach Ray Birmingham sits against the wall of the home dugout at Santa Ana Star Field during the Lobos annual media day on Feb. 9, 2018. The Lobos open the season this Friday against Oregon State.
Sports

Spring sports, winter championships canceled amid COVID-19 fears

The Mountain West Conference announced Thursday all spring sports and remaining Mountain West winter sports championships will be canceled due to concerns surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak. The cancelations follow the NCAA’s order to cancel all spring and winter events.  Cancelations include the 2020 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, which were slated to take place at the Albuquerque Convention Center in downtown Albuquerque, New Mexico, this weekend.  The conference’s Board of Directors announced the decision shortly after the NCAA canceled all of its nationwide winter and spring championship events. The board had previously held these events to an “indefinite suspension” until March 12.


Mayor Tim Keller.jpg
News

UNM land will not be used for Gateway Center

After weeks of debate, analysis and public comment-laden with controversy, the City of Albuquerque announced March 13 that the University of New Mexico has withdrawn its land from consideration for a possible Gateway Center location.  The lot in question is University property off of the I-25 Frontage Road and Lomas Boulevard and was among three finalists — the other two locations between the former Lovelace Hospital on Gibson and Coronado Park — that expressed interest in housing Albuquerque’s first-ever low-barrier, rehabilitative shelter to be open every hour of the day.  All three locations were considered due to their proximity to medical and transportation services as well as their affordability within the city’s $14 million budget approved by voters last fall.


	Lobo fans file into the renovated Pit for the UNM men’s basketball team’s open house Monday. The men’s team will open its season Wednesday night in an exhibition game, while the women’s team will host an exhibition game Nov. 9.
News

State high school basketball tournament continues without fans

THE PIT — The New Mexico Activities Association (NMAA) announced on Wednesday, March 11 that the state basketball tournaments would continue as scheduled, but without any fans in attendance at Dreamstyle Arena. The update comes in response to Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham's public health emergency declaration issued the same day due to concerns over the spread of COVID-19. Although many sporting events across the country have either been postponed or canceled entirely, the NMAA concluded after consultation with Lujan Grisham and recommendations from both the Departments of Health and Public Education that the tournament could continue at the Pit with only players and essential staff present. 


Ouray 5.jpg
News

UNM advises caution to students traveling over spring break

With the extended break looming, UNM’s dedicated coronavirus webpage has updated its travel recommendations for students who plan to leave the state, stressing that students should “avoid spring break travel to areas with active community transmission of COVID-19”.  Following a New Mexico State University (NMSU) announcement Friday morning that its spring break would be extended to two weeks and the three-week closure of public primary and secondary schools throughout the state, UNM President Garnett Stokes followed suit, announcing Friday that UNM’s spring break would be extended through April 5. 


Chair outside Zimmerman.jpg
News

UNM extends Spring Break to April 5 amid outbreak

The University of New Mexico will close for three weeks to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, according to UNM officials.  Friday's announcement coincides with the tenth confirmed case of COVID-19 in New Mexico and national emergencies. While no cases have been confirmed on Main campus, UNM said the preventive measure was essential for preventing further spread of the disease. 


The Setonian
News

COVID-19 pandemic may impact US census count in New Mexico

The COVID-19 pandemic may mean an even lower census count in New Mexico this year — which could lead to the loss of hundreds of millions in federal funding over a decade. In 2010, New Mexico was the second most undercounted state in the nation, according to outreach campaign NM Counts 2020. In a statement released on March 12, the Census Bureau said depending on future COVID-19 recommendations from public health officials, they may need to delay or discontinue nonresponse follow-up visits in particular communities but will attempt to adapt their operations to ensure they get a complete and accurate count.


COVID-19.jpg
News

Faculty prepare as expectations rise to move classes online

As the number of COVID-19 cases increase in the state, University of New Mexico faculty have quickly adjusted and are beginning to move many classes to an online format.  On the morning of March 12, an All-Faculty message solidified that classes would not be canceled after spring break as of yet, but encouraged faculty to decrease in-person interactions. 


Photo story: Faces of Fiestas
News

ASUNM: Fiestas canceled

Fiestas, one of the largest and most expensive events on campus, has been canceled for 2020.   The Associated Students of the University of New Mexico (ASUNM) announced the event’s cancellation over a press release Thursday. Student Special Events (SSE), the ASUNM entity that hosts the densely-populated event, canceled Fiestas because of the growing spread of the novel coronavirus.   According to the New Mexico Department of Health, there are six cases of COVID-19 in New Mexico as of March 12. Shortly before the fifth case was announced, the New Mexico Secretary of Health banned large gatherings over 100 people. 


ASUNM.jpg
News

ASUNM approves fee raise after students reject first attempt

SUB — The undergraduate student government pushed through a $5 fee raise Wednesday that was identical to the proposal students failed at the ballot box just hours before. The fee raise, which would increase the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico $20 fee by $5, will appear on the April ballot for the senatorial elections. While a majority of undergraduates (56%) supported a 25% undergraduate government fee increase, the referendum did not clear the two-thirds majority required to raise the fee in the three-day election.


The Setonian
News

MyUNM gets a facelift

Freshmen will be greeted by a new online landscape when they log onto their MyUNM account next fall. The MyUNM Student Experience Suite is projected to replace MyUNM for incoming freshmen students starting in the fall 2020 semester. The project will incorporate help from various student groups and resources on campus, including the Office of the Provost, the Division for Equity and Inclusion and UNM Information Technologies (IT).


The Setonian
Culture

Tricklock kicks off international theater festival

DOWNTOWN — The Tricklock Company welcomed artists from around the world to come and perform during the annual kickoff party for the Revolutions International Theatre Festival. The kickoff took place on Saturday, March 7 at the FUSION Forum. Tricklock, an internationally recognized theater company, reached out to artists from the United Kingdom, Uganda, Nigeria, Finland, Poland, Germany, Somalia, France and Australia, as well as many artists from companies throughout the United States.


De Anza.jpg
Culture

De Anza Motor Lodge celebrates historic reopening

NOB HILL — The De Anza Motor Lodge officially reopened on March 10 at 3 p.m. after years of work and reconstruction. The resurrected De Anza Motor Lodge has been repurposed as an apartment complex styled to resemble the motel it originally was in 1939, when it was built by local trader Charles Wallace. Members of the Albuquerque political class, including Mayor Tim Keller, City Councilor Pat Davis and Deputy Cabinet Secretary Jon Clark, attended the reopening.


Death Self.jpg
Culture

Former UNM teacher honors wife with art display

GEORGE PEARL HALL — A "Death Self" poetry reading and art display at the University of New Mexico highlighted the works of longtime UNM Honors College faculty member Vincent Barrett (V.B.) Price and Rini Price on March 9. The event was held in the memory of Rini Price on what would have been her birthday and celebrated her various paintings in collaboration with her husband V.B.’s poetry. Paintings by Rini were projected at the exhibit while V.B. read poems from "Death Self" along with additional readers at George Pearl Hall. The print edition of "Death Self" was handed out for free at the event.


First year promise.jpg
News

UNM launches First-Year Promise scholarship

Freshmen coming to the University of New Mexico may receive free tuition and have their first-year college fees covered through the "Lobo First-Year Promise" program. The incoming freshman fall class at UNM's main campus must earn a minimum 2.5 GPA for the 2020-21 academic year, enroll in a minimum of 15 credit hours for the fall and spring, be a New Mexico resident, be a graduate of a New Mexico high school within the past 16 months, submit a 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a family income of $50,000 a year or less to qualify. Vice President for Enrollment Management Dan García said New Mexico residents with financial needs will have the resources available to cover tuition and fees through the scholarship. He also said the scholarship will give greater assurance to students who may not believe they can afford a four-year university by showing the University wants them here.


ASUNM election.jpg
News

Mia Amin, Ana Milan take ASUNM election

SUB ATRIUM — Mia Amin will serve as the next president of the undergraduate student body. Amin garnered 870 votes — about 57.8% of the total undergraduates that participated in the election. The Associated Students of the University of New Mexico president essentially acts as the main representative to UNM's administration when it comes to tuition and fee raises and advocating for what students want. Amin ran on a platform of increased inclusivity, accountability and a mentality shift within ASUNM.


Talking Drums shooting.jpg
News

APD investigates shooting west of campus

The Albuquerque Police Department is investigating an area west of the University after they said a man was shot near the FreeRange coworking space on Central Avenue Wednesday afternoon. APD spokesperson Gilbert Gallegos said in a statement provided to the Daily Lobo that officers were dispatched to 1710 Central Avenue SE shortly after noon in response to a shooting call. APD officers found a victim, later identified as Carlos Nolasco, half a block away on the corner of Central and Pine with at least one gunshot wound "near his upper torso." The shooting preceded a campus-wide Lobo alert warning "APD out at shooting at 7-11. Central/University. Avoid the area."

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2026 The Daily Lobo