Beach Volleyball: Lobos pick up three more wins in California and Arizona

In the second road trip of the season, New Mexico picked up three wins to improve to 6-3 on the year.

The weekend provided a change of scenery as UNM took from the Arizona desert sand to play on the Newland Street Courts on Hunnington Beach in California.

“It was a good day,” coach Jeff Nelson said in a release on Monday. “It’s our first time playing on the actual real beach, so that was kind of crazy. But it was a beautiful day and it was great fun and a great learning experience for us.”

On Sunday, the Lobos fell 4-1 to No. 10 Grand Canyon at 8 a.m. It was the third nationally ranked team UNM has faced off against in just nine matches.

UNM then had a quick turnaround at 10 a.m., taking down San Jose State by a same 4-1 margin.

The Lobos then jumped across the boarder into California to take on Miracosta College and Irvine College on Monday. UNM took down both schools by a 4-1 count.

Like last weekend, Eastyn Baleto and Marisa Doran remained the team’s reliable duo. The two have an unblemished 9-0 record in pairs play to start the season on the No. 4 court.

“I thought Maria and Eastyn looked really good today,” Nelson said in Monday’s release. “They came out today and just completely dominated both of their matches and looked confident.”

Though the pair have turned heads by remaining perfect in the 2016 sand season campaign, Nelson said following Monday’s pair of victories that he is pleased with the way the program is progressing.

“I think our whole team is getting better as we go,” the head coach said in the release. “They’re getting a little more confident. I saw us come from behind a couple times this weekend. I like what’s happening.”

The Lobos will be returning to the desert, specifically their home court as the squad will hold its first and only matches in the Land of Enchantment beginning on Friday against Colorado Mesa at 2 p.m. on Friday.

ASU and New Mexico State will also participate in the weekend’s action.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.