Letter: Free parking on campus would mean no parking on campus for many

We are writing in response to a letter on March 31st regarding UNM Parking and Transportation Services.

Having worked directly with PATS in the past, we can say that they are some of the kindest people you will ever meet. Their primary mission is to serve the students of UNM and they are very clear and enthusiastic about that in any conversation you have with them. Because of this, we think it is only fair to clear up some misconceptions that are widely held all over campus.

First, PATS is almost ENTIRELY self-funded. No money from our tuition OR fees goes to fund their day-to-day or parking ticket operations. They only receive $50,000/year from student fees to subsidize the free bus sticker program that is utilized by over 9,800 students each year. This program is offered because UNM is located in the center of Albuquerque, where space to expand is limited. This means that adding to the approximately 14,000 parking spots on campus would be incredibly expensive and would limit space available to expansion for academic facilities. Instead of parking on campus, students can save money AND be sustainable by making use of FREE public transportation already provided by student fees.

Additionally, imagine what parking would be like without some sort of regulation. It would be a free for all, which would encourage more people to drive to campus individually. We believe this would do the opposite of what the author proposed, as it would be even more difficult to find an available parking space and make students late to class. We should consider alternative (free) forms of transportation, such as bicycling, walking or using the Albuquerque bus system. We need to focus energy on sustainable transportation solutions, of which adding infinite parking spaces is not.

PATS is an imperfect but necessary institution on campus administrated by passionate and compassionate professionals. They value feedback and input, and have teamed up with ASUNM to host a student feedback session each of the past four semesters. Rather than complaining about parking, we encourage every student to take the surveys they send out and attend these forums to offer feedback on the services PATS offers. They are so willing to listen, so we should be willing to talk to them directly in a way that is professional and logical.

Sincerely,

Delia Brennan

Brad Sedillo

ASUNM Senators