Graduate and professional students vote no confidence in Krebs, athletics

GPSA’s special election about the UNM Athletics Administration saw a record turnout, and all four questions on the ballot passed by margins of at least 30 percent.
“This is an unprecedented number,” said GPSA President Lissa Knudsen. “It is our belief that GPSA has never had this turnout.”
As for the results, 1,163 students voted in the online election, which is more than twice the turnout of the April GPSA presidential election. Students could select “no opinion” on each question.
More than 1,000 students voted to urge the Board of Regents to divert student fees from Athletics. This was the highest turnout of all the questions. Of those who had an opinion, more than 85 percent of students voted to urge the administration to divert student fees away from the Athletics Department to academic programs.
Also, 81 percent of students who voted said they have no confidence in Athletic Director Paul Krebs’ handing of the Sept. 20 Locksley/Gerald Incident.
Roughly two-thirds of graduate and professional students voted no confidence in Krebs’ overall performance as Athletic Director. However, roughly half of the total number of voters chose to answer the question.
Athletics spokesman Greg Remington said Krebs had no comment on the results of the two votes.
Finally, 65 percent of students voted to ask the Board of Regents to launch an independent investigation into the Locksley/Gerald incident.
In addition to sharing the results with legislators, Knudsen said she would distribute them to the Board of Regents.
GPSA Council Chair Danny Hernandez said he hopes undergraduate student government will pose similar questions to its constituents.
“It’s about time for the undergrads to chime in as well,” Hernandez said. “I’ve heard from about as many undergrads as graduates, and I think it’s time for ASUNM to chime in.”
ASUNM Vice President Mike Westervelt said there’s no talk among the undergraduate governing body about holding a similar special election.
Knudsen and Hernandez announced the results early this morning to allow Knudsen to present the election results in Santa Fe at a 9 a.m. hearing of the Senate Rules Committee. The hearing is regarding a joint memorial sponsored by State Sen. Eric Griego that asks the Board of Regents to cut UNM administrative salaries.
“One of the things that’s critical is that the state legislature is in session,” Knudsen said. “This is one more piece that shows that… the University’s governance does not reflect its constituents,” she said.