Jimmy Eat World brings rock off back burner

Eclectic ‘Bleed American’ breathes new life into genre

The emergence of boy bands and scantily-clad teen pop stars has left good old-fashioned rock ‘n’ roll in the dust. But with the release of Jimmy Eat World’s fourth LP Bleed American, rock ‘n’ roll now has a strong voice for a new generation of listeners.

Bleed American is a strong album — mixing punk with other musical styles. Jimmy Eat World has everything a band wants — good songs, a strong musical presence and the ability to mix genres. Bleed American is a tight album — producing fluid, interesting songs from track one to track eleven.

With a sound similar to Weezer, Jimmy Eat World has the talent to mix up heavy rock with slower acoustic songs, which gives the band an advantage over other bands trying to make it in the music industry.

With their ability to shift the flow of their music, the members of Jimmy Eat World have the opportunity to express themselves as individuals as well as a band.

Track six, “hear you me,” praises everything one gets from growing up and learning from mom and dad. It’s a thank-you note for the lessons one learns on the road to becoming an adult and learning from one’s own mistakes.

Jimmy Eat World creates an emotional setting by bringing bring the band members’ own experiences to the music.

Track eight, “get it faster,” speaks of being on your own and getting along by yourself, rather than being influenced by one person.

The song is about breaking away from a relationship and realizing that cheating is the fastest way out of something you don’t want to be in. “Get it faster” is a song that contradicts some peoples’ thoughts on relationships, but it rings true for many others. It is an edgy track with a touch of experimental rock, blasting into heavy chords that give a feeling of letting loose.

The final track on the album, “my sundown” is a slower song reminiscent of track six, “hear you me.”

It is a song that gives the band members the opportunity to express themselves musically as well as emotionally.

“My sundown” speaks of trying to make yourself better — wanting to be different and trying harder, even when nobody seems to care.

“My sundown” is a good final track and another well-written song.

The Bleed American album is good from beginning to end — always leaving the listener with something to think about.

Rock n’ roll has been on the back burner for sometime now with the emergence of annoying bubblegum pop, but with the release of Bleed American, good rock has the opportunity to get back into the mainstream.