Univ. of Michigan associate named dean of law school

Scarnecchia to take over post Jan. 1

Provost Brian Foster announced Wednesday that Suellyn Scarnecchia, associate dean of clinical affairs at the University of Michigan Law School, will take over as dean of the UNM Law School Jan. 1.

Scarnecchia says she's looking forward to moving to Albuquerque.

"I am excited about becoming a very active member of the UNM community," she said in a phone interview. "It was a real honor and privilege to be selected for this position."

Scarnecchia began teaching at the University of Michigan Law School in 1987 as a clinical assistant professor. She was promoted to clinical law professor in 1993. She has been associate dean for clinical affairs since 1996. Scarnecchia also was associate dean for administration from 1999 to 2001 and clinical coordinator from 1994 to 1996.

"Suellyn's visit to UNM generated a great deal of excitement," Foster said in a University statement. "There is broad support for her candidacy, and we look forward to working with her."

Scarnecchia practiced law for six years with McCroskey, Feldman, Cochrane and Brock in western Michigan, where she specialized in employment discrimination litigation on behalf of plaintiffs. She left the firm as a partner to join the University of Michigan's Law School's Child Advocacy Law Clinic in 1987. In 1993, she represented the prospective adoptive parents in a high-profile custody dispute over Baby Jessica.

UNM's heavy emphasis on clinical legal education, among other factors, helped lure Scarnecchia to the University.

"People around the country who knew I was interested in a dean position suggested I apply for the job at UNM," she said. "I had traveled to Albuquerque several times in the past, including a recent visit to the law school for a conference there. I was very impressed and interested in working with such a diverse community, which I consider to be a real plus."

But with all of her experience rooted in the Midwest, Scarnecchia says she will have to spend a lot of time learning about her new environment before making any changes.

"I think, at first, I will need to spend a lot of time getting to know the faculty and the students, and also getting to know members of the Albuquerque community, especially the legal and judicial community," she said. "I also really need to become acquainted with the way the state government works and start meeting with people in the Legislature. I basically expect to spend a lot of time meeting with people and listening."

Once she has a better understanding of the people she will be working with, Scarnecchia says she will then begin trying to assess the law school's needs.

"I expect to spend quite a bit of time developing resources for the school through fund-raising in New Mexico and also from charitable organizations or foundations nationally that might have an interest in the kind of issues being studied at the law school," she said.

Scarnecchia's research interests include bias in the courts, children's rights and corporal punishment of children. In addition to clinical courses, she has taught negotiation and a course about civil legal services for the poor, called "Access to Justice."

She also has written numerous articles about children's rights and race bias. Scarnecchia earned her bachelor's degree in history from Northwestern University in 1978 and law degree from the University of Michigan in 1981.

Current Dean Robert Desiderio announced his resignation effective June 30, but will remain in his position until Scarnecchia takes over Jan. 1. Desiderio has been appointed dean twice, with his most recent work centered on fund-raising for the renovation and expansion of the law school.