How to lose that guy

Why would you want to lose a guy in 10 days?

Only if he's stalking you, or really butt ugly. There just so happens to be an instructional book with specific methods on how to lose a guy. The movie starring Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson is based on this book, but thank the screenwriters for coming up a better plot. The book is called . . . dun, dada, dun . . . How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days: The Universal Donts of Dating, by two very desperate women who have too much time on their hands, otherwise known as Michele Alexander and Jeannie Long. The only problem with this book is 1) It takes literally two minutes to read and 2) If the guy had any sense at all he'd dump you within the first minute.

Without going into any details, what the two women suggest on the first day is not something I could imagine any educated woman doing. Alexander and Long say on the first day "Meet him at a party. Ditch your friends and convince him to go home with you. Have sex. Make sure you let him know he's not the first. Do the Helicopter Move [there's an illustration of said move.] After sex, talk. Ask him if you look fat. Name his penis."

If you think that won't send the guy home screaming, wait till you read Day 2.

Maybe I'm over-estimating the audience though. Maybe the women -- or 14-year-old girls -- who read this book would find valuable clues as to what they are doing to lose every man they've ever met. But if you're really stressing about having a man in your life, that's just sad. And if you really want advice on what not to do in relationships, ask the guy you're involved with, since they are the experts on what they like.

What disturbs me most is how the women actually came up with these "tips." Do women really do all these things? Have the writers ever done this? I don't know, but it sends a really bad message when they allude to all the bad things women could do in relationships, and even publish a whole book about it.

The idea that in 1998 someone actually did decide to publish this book is unbelievable to me. And that it costs more than five dollars is absurd. On the other hand if you want to read something this absurd, ridiculous, and so truly disturbing, read this book and you get the laugh of a lifetime.

Plus, it's a fun book to put on your coffee table if you like phallic stick-figure illustrations.