Police examine alleged rape case

University police have collected physical evidence from a local man in connection with an alleged sexual assault that occurred at an SRC room early Saturday morning.

According to the affidavit for a search warrant, the victim was assaulted when she went to throw up in a shared bathroom during her birthday party at the Student Residence Center.

Albuquerque resident Tommy Black is accused of sexually assaulting the woman.

University police on Monday were sent to meet with the victim and representatives from Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, a nonprofit organization that helps law enforcement collect evidence for sexual assault investigations.

A nurse told police she had examined the victim for signs of trauma and collected evidence from her for police.

According to the affidavit, the victim told police she had been drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana in her SRC room Friday night.

At about 3 a.m. on Saturday, she went into a bathroom to throw up, and Black was inside with her, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit states that a girl at the party went to the bathroom twice, and each time she had to knock because the door was locked and the lights turned off. Both times Black answered the bathroom door because the victim was vomiting in the toilet, the affidavit states.

The girl told police that when she left the party, Black and the victim were alone together in the bathroom. She said she told Black to take care of the woman.

The victim awoke Saturday morning without her pants on, the affidavit states.

When confronted by the victim on Sunday, Black denied having sex with her, the affidavit states.

Black could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

A district court judge granted the search warrant Tuesday morning and a UNMPD detective served it later in the afternoon.

According to the search warrant, police seized a pair of pants, a sweater and a pair of underwear, all worn by Black the night of the alleged assault.

Police also collected a pillowcase and bed sheets as well as hair from a comforter in Black's apartment.

Hairs from Black's head and pubic region, as well as a DNA sample from a mouth swab, were also taken into evidence by police.