Waitress manager Rhonda Sumruld makes a milkshake Wednesday at Model Pharmacy.

Soda shop shakes up senses

by Shandea Williams

Daily Lobo

I've always wondered what treasures Model Pharmacy offers.

On my first visit, I learned that Model Pharmacy, at 3636 Monte Vista Blvd. N.E., is a restaurant, pharmacy, perfumery and small corner store. The restaurant section offers breakfast and lunch daily.

Most diners in the restaurant look like they've been coming faithfully for the last 20 years. The original Model Pharmacy was where Walgreens now sits, at 3501 Lomas Blvd. N.E., and was built in the early 1940s.

There are eight to 10 tables, so prepare to wait a while for a seat. The waitresses seem frantic, in a hurry and not excited to be working. The menu isn't extensive, but I settled on a variety of lunch plates for taste testing.

The grilled ham with roasted red peppers and melted brie on a baguette with blackberry mustard is served with a side salad for $8.50. The sandwich was an interesting blend of flavors that barely complemented each other. I suggest substituting turkey for the ham.

A more enjoyable dish was the salad sampler ($8.95) that included chicken, tuna and egg salad on a bed of baby greens. One favorite of regulars is the hot brisket on a French roll served with pasta salad (or chips) for $8.50. The meat was prepared in a tasty onion brisket sauce.

Overall, the sandwiches were mediocre for their price, and you get exactly what you expect - nothing more.

One thing about Model Pharmacy that amazed me is its soda fountain. It has a variety of ice cream sodas, milk shakes and egg creams that will please nearly everyone. I suggest a strawberry ice cream soda for $4.25. Also, Model's blackberry cobbler (when served a la mode) will top off your lunch with pure happiness for $5.25.

I ended up wandering around, smelling the perfumes and browsing the items in the shop for more than 20 minutes. The shop sells merchandise difficult to find in Albuquerque, and because of that, it's expensive.

Model Pharmacy is the perfect place to stop by and get your imported perfume or share a milk shake with a friend. Come prepared to wait awhile during the busy lunch hour, but when you are in need of the perfect milk shake, this is the place to go.

Model Pharmacy

3636 Monte Vista Blvd. N.E.

Monday-Friday

9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

Saturday

10 a.m.-5 p.m.