The Grove Cafe offers a breakfast ham sandwich on a homemade English muffin.

Dining that tastes as good as it looks

by Shandea Williams

Daily Lobo

Tiny umbrella mobiles dangle above the Grove Cafe's patrons as they dine on delicacies carefully molded into edible art.

Even when one of the wait staff pours a cup of coffee, the leaf-like design they create with the milky white cream, in contrast with the black coffee beans, is almost too pretty to drink.

The Grove offers breakfast and lunch all day.

The Grove pancakes ($7.25) are served with fresh fruit, cräme fraiche, local honey and real maple syrup. I love French-style pancakes and was happy to find a restaurant in Albuquerque that prepares them correctly.

The EDO's Best BLT ($7.50) had apple-wood smoked bacon, homemade guacamole, tomato and butter lettuce on whole wheat bread, served with a side of fruit.

The guacamole was a perfect fit for the sandwich. I loved the fresh fruit - it was a healthy alternative to greasy chips or fries.

Another amazing dish is the farmer's salad ($8.95). It includes a healthy portion of mixed greens, roasted golden beets, asparagus, yellow peppers, tomato, Marcona almonds, goat cheese and lemon-basil vinaigrette. It was the best salad I'd ever had.

If you need a sweet treat to top off your lunch, the Grove offers a variety of homemade cupcakes, cookies and scones. The restaurant is also a supporter of Intelligentsia Coffee and Tea, which ensures farmers are paid 25 percent above the standard fair-trade price.

And the Grove's coffee is absolutely delicious.