West African performers unite song, dance and storytelling

Saturday brings a West African song and dance performance to the Outpost Performance Space.

Assane Kouyate, a West African dance teacher who will perform in the show, said the group is trying to bring people together to have a good time and enjoy traditional dance.

The group will also perform dances about marriage, happiness and the history of the dances.

"I feel that performances like this are really important," Kouyate said. "My mother and grandmother were some of the first people to go to Europe and perform and talk about West Africa and what our culture is all about there. But this event is also important to students because they are going to receive a different scene and culture."

Mariama Nakigan, a student of Kouyate and a graduate of UNM, said he is respected for his storytelling flair.

"Assane sings in griot, and this means that he is very honored in his people who tell the stories of West African culture, and his style of singing is how that's displayed."

The dances come from places like Mali and Guinea. The dancing will be vigorous and the performance will be seeped in drumming.

"Assane is a really talented student and teacher. He first came to the U.S. as a premier dancer and soloist of the National Ballet of Napimal, so he is a very highly trained dancer," Nakigan said. "I myself am looking forward to the music and the songs. It's very soothing and very invigorating, and it just takes you to another place."

Many West African musicians are attending this performance as well.

"This performance is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get an opportunity to learn about the West African culture and see all of these great musicians and dancers come together to perform," said Nakigan.

The performance group also will work around the school schedules of students interested in working with the West African performers.