8759_menssoccerf.jpg

Lobo defender Lawrence Robledo staves off an attack from Tulsa player Blaine Gonsalves.

Early scores bode well for season start

The game was all but over after 15 minutes.

It took the UNM men’s soccer team just a quarter of an hour to score all three goals in their 3-1 victory over Tulsa on Saturday night.

The win added another victory to the team’s preseason after beating Grand Canyon 2-0 on Thursday.

“I am pretty happy with the game,” head coach Jeremy Fishbein said. “We wanted to be strong off the bat, press them and play in their half, and it went according to plan. We finished our chances and I thought it was a real good game.”

The game started off at a high pace as senior Lance Rozeboom had a chance to score in the first minute, but dragged his shot just wide.

Just six minutes in, red-shirted sophomore Lawrence Robledo picked the ball up on the right wing, dribbled past two defenders, and fired his shot past Tulsa’s goalkeeper, Cody Mumma.

It took just three more minutes for the Lobos to double their lead, this time from the penalty spot. After a handball in the box, Rozeboom stepped up and blasted his penalty kick to the right corner.

After 15 minutes, the game was wrapped up when junior Blake Smith picked up the ball 15 yards from goal and saw his shot sneak into the far post past Mumma.

Tulsa had its only chance to score in the first half from a free kick at 19 minutes that goalkeeper Victor Rodriguez did well to save.

Freshman James Rodgers came on for the Lobos for the last 20 minutes of the half, looked very impressive and could have added more goals to the Lobos’ lead if it was not for poor finishing.

“It was a good win for us,” Rozeboom said. “We have had a real strong preseason so far and we have a lot of new faces on the team and I think these first two games was a good start for us.”
The second half was a more even contest, and Tulsa got a conciliation goal 10 minutes in.

Tulsa’s Tony Rocha smashed his free kick from 30 yards over the wall and into the far corner past Rodriguez, who had no chance to save it.

The goal brought new life to Tulsa, as it could have scored in the second half if Lobo defender Kyle Venter hadn’t blocked a clear scoring opportunity off the goal line.

The Lobos outshot the Golden Hurricanes 21-12, but could not use their advantage to add to their early goals.

“We should have put two or three more away, but I thought we showed a lot of composure,” Fishbein said. “It’s always good to score three goals against a good team, and there are still some areas we can get better, but it was a good result.”