The Weekly Free

nicole11@unm.edu

It’s officially summer, and while you may be feeling as free as a bird, events and concerts are still just as costly. The Daily Lobo compiled some freebies to match your mood and not break the bank. Now you can save up for that massive vacation to Vegas you’ve been planning — or just minimize the damages of not finding a summer job.

Indie film
Thursday

If you’re tired of watching superheroes explode walls or Rihanna yelling “man down,” then check out an independent and locally produced film. KiMo Theatre presents an Indie Q special event with three films by Scott Milder, titled “The Water,” “The Devil’s Luck” and “VANYA.” The best part is, you won’t have seen endless previews for these three, so the films might actually surprise you. KiMo Theatre is at 423 Central Ave. N.W., and credit cards are not accepted for concessions. The doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the show starts at 7 p.m.

Potluck
Friday

The Vegetarians and Vegans of UNM host a weekly potluck for others of their taste. Even if meat and dairy are dietary staples in your world, the event is an opportunity to expand your palette — tofu isn’t as bad as it seems. Your culinary contribution should, obviously, be meat-free. The event is held at an organizer’s apartment at 1809 Las Lomas Road N.E., Apt. D.

Go fish
Saturday

If you’re having trouble finding fresh fish at Smith’s, why not go catch your own? Saturday is National Free Fishing day, so you don’t need a fishing license to try your luck. The city of Albuquerque hosts a Free Fishing Day and Clinic at Tingley Beach from 8 a.m. to noon where you can reel in tips from the pros. Tingley Beach is part of the ABQ BioPark at 1800 Tingley Drive S.W.

Rose show
Saturday and Sunday

The poetic line “My love is like a red, red rose” is an understatement for rose lovers in the Southwest; their lives are centered on roses. Members of rose societies from California, Nevada, Texas and New Mexico gather to express their floral love in a four-day convention that includes a free, two-day rose show on Saturday and Sunday. The roses are displayed singly or in collections, and they are judged for petal perfection. The convention is in the New Mexico Ballroom of the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 1901 University Blvd. N.E. and runs from 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Car show
Sunday

Albuquerque’s slickest cars gear up for the South Valley Civitan Club’s Classic Car Show. The cars may cost thousands of dollars, but looking at them is free. Don’t get too envious of the cars’ owners — at least your Honda Civic has air-conditioning. The show runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the El Camino Real Academy parking lot at 3713 Isleta Blvd. S.W.

Download music
Any day

If you couldn’t make it to the South by Southwest 2012 Music and Film Interactive Festival in Austin, Texas, or didn’t even know it was happening, there is still hope. The festival featured a slew of alternative bands, and festival leaders compiled the performances in an album titled “Don’t Mess with Texas” for free download. Despite the ridiculous name, the tracks are pretty good.
A link to the download can be found at abqonthecheap.com, or follow the QR code.