The Weekly Free

nicole11@unm.edu

Whether you’re partying or vacationing, summertime can certainly drain your bank account. Check out these freebies to avoid a completely empty wallet.

Stargazing
Tuesday, June 5

Missed the eclipse on May 20? Then watch Venus cross the sun — it’s your last chance to see it this century. Transits of Venus occur about every 120 years and arrive in pairs, and the next ones will be in 2117 and 2125. The Rio Rancho Astronomical Society will set up solar telescopes at the Coronado State Monument at 2 p.m. at Kuaua Road in Bernalillo. It’s literally a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and it’s free. How often does that happen?

Vote
Tuesday, June 5

New Mexicans have one of the last primaries in the country, and Mitt Romney has already taken the nomination. However, you can still put your two cents in about whether you like him. More importantly, vote on who you want to run in November to represent New Mexico in Washington next year. Voting locations can be found throughout the city. For exact locations visit bernco.gov/vcc or follow the QR code.

Karaoke
Wednesday, June 6

Belt out all your favorite classics at Retro’s Bar at 1410 Wyoming Blvd. N.E. Maybe your talent will get noticed, and you’ll become famous — but don’t get your hopes up. At least you can feel famous for a night. Karaoke is free, although drinks and snacks are not. The karaoke starts at 8 p.m.

Happy Arte Hour
Thursday, June 7

Instead of drinking your 5 p.m. cocktail this week, get your hands dirty and make clay art. Maybe you can even make yourself a cup from which to drink future cocktails. Happy Arte Hour is from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the National Hispanic Cultural Center’s Domenici Education Building at 1701 Fourth St. S.W. There is a $5 suggested donation, but the event is free.

Landlord/tenant workshop
Thursday, June 7

It seems like everyone’s leases expire in the summer. If you want to make sure you’re not breaking a lease, or want to know requirements for moving out, then hit up this landlord/tenant workshop at the State Bar of New Mexico at 5121 Masthead N.E. from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. There will be attorneys present to answer your questions, but don’t expect them to listen to your sob stories if you’re in the wrong.

Hiking
Saturday, June 9

Escape the monotony of sitting in your air-conditioned house and watching “Sopranos” reruns by venturing outside for once. Still need some motivation? Saturday is national Get Outdoors Day, which the state celebrates by offering free admission to most national parks and monuments. Parks near Albuquerque with free admission include the Bandelier National Monument near Los Alamos, El Morro National Monument near Ramah, Fort Union National Monument near Watrous and Pecos National Historic Park in Santa Fe. Even if you don’t enjoy yourself, at least you’ll get a tan.