The Weekly Free

It’s almost that time of summer when you’ve spent all your money on the security deposit for your new apartment, a new camera or just a lot of booze. Keep some green in your wallet by checking out this week’s freebies.

MUSIC
MONDAY

Free music is great until you get arrested for illegal pirating and go to jail for 10 years. Amazon is offering a free $2 MP3 credit on its website, which you can redeem by visiting the offer page at alturl.com/zqnck or following the QR code, and entering the code MP3S4ALL. The offer expires at 11:59 p.m., so get on that long-awaited Gorillaz download ASAP.

READING GROUP
TUESDAY

Nobody actually does summer reading, but maybe a group of people can motivate you to start on your list. Club Literario meets from 6 to 8 p.m. at the National Hispanic Cultural Center at 1701 Fourth St. S.W. The club focuses on Hispanic authors, and books are available in both Spanish and English. For more information, contact Doug Simon at 246-2261 ext. 142, or doug.simon@state.nm.us.

CAMPING WORKSHOP
WEDNESDAY

Do you know how to connect tent poles? How to sleep efficiently and comfortably? What to do in the woods? If you answered no to these questions but would like to camp this summer, then check out this camping basics class. It runs from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at REI at 1550 Mercantile Ave. N.E., and you must preregister online at rei.com. As of publication, there were 11 spots left.

TRADITIONAL DANCE
THURSDAY

Celebrate indigenous peoples by watching a traditional dance put on by the Southern Slam Dance Group and the Santa Ana Pueblo. The dance is at 2 p.m. at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center at 2401 12th St. N.W.

MOVIE
SATURDAY

You can find pretty much any movie for free on the Internet, but if you’re craving some social interaction, you can hit up Movies Under the Stars at Cabezon Park in Rio Rancho at 2307 Cabezon Blvd. Movies begin at dusk, and no alcohol is allowed. If you don’t like the chosen film, you can learn about stars instead, because the Rio Rancho Astronomical Society will have telescopes available for gazing into the depths of space.

PETROGLYPHS
ANY DAY

Look at hundreds of ancient artworks along trails at Unser Boulevard and Western Trail Road. It’s pretty much your only chance to see art in the great outdoors — don’t let yourself get stuck in a gallery drinking wine again. Petroglyph National Monument is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.