rec_2.jpg

Preston Stewart, head outdoor trip leader for the Getaway Adventures group, provides a spot for Kyle Cole while Cole secures a lifeline for a top roping “problem.” Stewart and Cole provided tips and encouragement for the participants of Saturday’s rock climbing trip.

Get away before school starts

nicole11@unm.edu

So you sat on the couch all summer watching “Teen Mom” on Netflix. It’s okay, we will only judge you a little bit. School is only four short weeks away, so now is the time to get your rear in gear. UNM Recreational Services Department offers many Getaway Adventures in the upcoming weeks, so you have no excuse to laze around. Don’t worry, season four will still be there when you get back.

Recreational Services Coordinator Laura Montoya said the Getaway Adventures program includes both outdoor and cultural trips, and often combines the two.

“It’s not’s really your typical outdoor program because we have all these cultural things here, so it’s outdoor/culture,” she said. “I have to take advantage of where we live.”

The trips include everything from wildflower hikes to fly-fishing trips to rock-climbing adventures in the Jemez. You can register in the Recreational Services Office in Johnson Gym.

HIKE
Nambe Lake Hike
July 21, $28, students $23

Break out those sexy hiking boots and moleskin patches for this high-altitude hike. Montoya said the hike is only five miles, but can be very difficult due to a 2,000 foot gain in elevation. The event posting reads: “If you like to get high, then you will enjoy hiking at altitudes between 10,500 and 11,800 feet.” The hike starts at the Santa Fe ski basin and ends at the alpine Nambe Lake, and you must be in good physical condition to participate.
This isn’t the best selection if you haven’t left the house all summer, but it sounds breathtaking, literally and figuratively.

EAT
Santa Fe Odyssey
July 28, $27, students $22

This adventure includes a trip to the renowned Santa Fe Farmers Market, a short hike in the Tesuque area and a visit to the 61st Annual Spanish Market in Santa Fe. “They get a realm of Santa Fe and do a little bit of everything,” Montoya said. What could be better than munching on a fresh peach from the farmers market after a hike? Maybe I’m biased, but I think it beats daytime television any day.

SEE
Indian Market
Aug. 19, $27, students $22

The largest American Indian Market in the world comes to Santa Fe for a day full of native history and goods. This year, the market features 1,200 vendors, and the market has been held every year since 1922. Montoya said that because this trip is the weekend before school starts, it is usually very popular with international and transfer students. “They don’t have a car, they don’t know the area, so we provide that for them,” she said.

FLOAT
Full Moon Kayaking in the Bosque
Aug. 30, $50

Soak up those moon rays in the most relaxing way possible: floating down the river. This trip was cancelled earlier in the summer due to wildfires, so now’s your chance. Only a few spots are left. “Anything that has to do with a full moon sells out right away,” Montoya said. “People really want to do it but they don’t want to do it alone. It’s probably wise to not go on a hike in the mountains under the full moon alone.” This trip is so romantic it makes me want to barf — in a good way.