The Weekly Free

nicole11@unm.edu

For all those who love the sale rack, life just got even better. This week’s giveaways include everything from a Slurpee to a jazz concert, and it’s all free. Just don’t get so overwhelmed with gratitude that you can’t enjoy these opportunities.

FLASH FICTION
MONDAY

A group of writers meets every Monday from 7 to 9 p.m. for “exploratory and improvisational writing, poetry, flash fiction and creative nonfiction.” The first entry on organizer Teresa’s blog describes a prehistoric hominid who wears flip-flops and a pith helmet. Visit the blog at mothergoose.wordpress.com, and contact Teresa at 362-2056 or 898-6978 for more information if the group piques your interest.

ROAD SIGNS
TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

This exhibit at 516 ARTS features Albuquerque’s most renowned road signs, and artwork that has been done of them. According to the event listing, the signs and billboards along Central Avenue used to be infused with neon and lights, whereas now they are mere skeletons. Artists in this exhibit try to revitalize these old signs. 516 ARTS is at 516 Central Ave. S.W. and is open from noon to 5 p.m. The exhibit runs through Aug. 11.

SLURPEE
WEDNESDAY

Beat the heat by slurping down ice injected with artificial color and flavor, the perfect reprieve from the sun. Then compare the blueness of your tongue to your nail polish — I bet your tongue will win. 7-Eleven gives away Slurpees served in 7.11 ounce cups from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. or while supplies last. The 7-Eleven nearest to campus is at University Boulevard and Central Avenue.

JAZZ FESTIVAL
SATURDAY

Take a break from the top-40 hits on the radio and listen to some old-school jazz — it’s not just for your grandparents. The New Mexico Jazz Festival runs from 7 to 9 p.m. in Old Town Plaza and features Leni Stern and the Masters of African Percussion.

REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS
SATURDAY

Snakes and frogs creep out of their hiding holes and head to the Elena Gallegos Double Shelter Amphitheatre for your viewing pleasure. Scott Bulgrin from the New Mexico Herpetological Society leads a discussion on reptiles and amphibians, starting at 7 p.m.. The Amphitheatre is located at the end of Simms Park Road, east of Tramway Boulevard and north of Academy Boulevard.

POTTERY
SATURDAY

Want to connect to the roots of New Mexico? Mimbres pottery is one of the most famous types of New Mexican pottery, known for black designs on a white background. Michael Kanteena, a member of the Laguna Pueblo, gives a live demonstration of how Mimbres pottery is made, at the visitor center at Petroglyph Park from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The visitor center is on Western Trail.