The Weekly Free

The snarling beast known as school crept up on you and is slowly chomping down on your free time. Before you know it, you’ll be frantically trying to claw your way out of its intestines, along with 30,000 other students. So celebrate your final week in the best way possible — freely.

DOWNLOAD MUSIC
ANY DAY
21st-century pirates steal with the click of the mouse, and although you probably won’t be hanged or die of scurvy, the penalties for illegally downloading music are still severe. This week’s free and legal music download from Amazon includes artists Tom Waits and Wilco, so visit abqonthecheap.com, click on the “Free MP3s include Summer Music, New Artists, & Songs for Kids” link and then follow the “Free Album of Summer Music” link. Or just follow the QR code.

CHESS
MONDAY AND TUESDAY
Have you always wanted to learn this ancient game of logic — and actually win once in a while? Here’s your chance to get one-on-one coaching from an expert. The classes are from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., and are designed for ages 8 and up. They are held at the Cherry Hills Library at 6901 Barstow St. N.E. Preregistration is required, so call (505) 857-8321.

READ ONLINE
WEDNESDAY
Visit an airport and everyone and their mom seems to be reading on an iPad, iPhone, Kindle or Nook. But it isn’t always easy to use these devices if you’re new to them. The South Broadway Library is holding “Gizmo Garage,” an event where anyone can get help downloading and transferring ebooks to various devices. Just bring your device and library card to 1025 Broadway Blvd. S.E. at 4:30 p.m.

CHRISTIAN PROPHECY
FRIDAY
If your mind has been burning with profound questions such as “Does God speak to anyone?” then the answer to your prayers is here. Apparently God has spoken to someone named Vassula Ryden since 1985 — if only we were all so lucky. You can hear her speak, along with an orthodox catechist, about unceasing prayer, intimacy with God and the event that will restore Christian unity at the Mennonite Church at 1300 Girard Blvd. N.E. from 6 to 9 p.m.

IRRIGATION CLASS
SATURDAY
Want a lush, green yard while conserving the small amount of water we have left in the aquifer? Or maybe your water bill is just too high. Either way, check out Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority’s class at the CNM Workforce Training Center from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. First-time participants will receive a $20 credit on their water bill if they are Water Authority customers.

GARDEN TOUR
SATURDAY
The governor recently proclaimed Aug. 18 “Native Plant Day.” To celebrate, the Albuquerque chapter of the Native Plant Society of New Mexico is holding a garden tour in the Ridgecrest neighborhood. The tour is self-guided from 9 a.m. to noon, and all the gardens feature 100-percent native plants. Garden owners will be on hand to answer questions. Maps will be available at the first stop, 713 Sundown Place S.E.