The Weekly Free

Maybe you’re sitting pretty on top of a mound of cash from your scholarship refund. Or maybe you’re just as broke as usual after buying new school clothes. Either way, save up that greenery by doing something free for a change.

HARVEST AND ART FAIR
TODAY
Munch on a freshly uprooted carrot while pondering a piece of art — what could make for a better afternoon? KeepItQuerque takes place at Los Poblanos at 4803 Rio Grande Blvd. N.W., home to the lavender farm, and runs from 4 to 8 p.m. The veggies and art aren’t free, but the cool vibes are all yours.

GRANTSEEKING
TODAY
Although most students aren’t working as grantwriters for nonprofits, learning how to write grant applications is a valuable skill. That’s probably all you will be doing after graduating, given the current economy. This workshop is held at the Albuquerque Main Library at 501 Copper Ave. N.W. from 10 a.m. to noon.

WELCOME BACK DAYS
TODAY THROUGH FRIDAY
Hungry for a snack between classes? Today you can find watermelon next to the duck pond from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday they’re serving up green chile stew, Thursday there’s pizza and Friday it’s wieners galore — by that I mean hot dogs, you pervert.

DEFENDING HAPPINESS
WEDNESDAY
“Defending Happiness and Other Acts of Bravery” chronicles one woman’s struggles through breast cancer, online dating and motherhood. The author will give a reading and present the book at the Special Collections Library at 423 Central Ave. N.E. from 6 to 7:30 p.m.

INTRO TO SWINGING
THURSDAY
Have you been in a long-term relationship and ever wanted to swing? We don’t mean swing dance, we mean engage in sexual activities with someone other than your partner. If this sounds tantalizing but you have no idea where to begin, Self Serve is offering a class to get your feet in the door — or more. The class is at 7:30 p.m. and you can reserve a spot by calling (505) 265-5815. The shop is at 3904 B Central Ave. S.E.

LATIN DANCE FESTIVAL
FRIDAY
Wind down from a stressful first week by watching dancers spice it up, Latin style. The event features everything from salsa and ballroom to hip-hop and reggaeton, and takes place in the Old Town Plaza gazebo from 5 to 10 p.m. Call (505) 515-4036 for more information.

~ Nicole Perez