The Weekly Free

Chances are you’re still reeling from the shock of buying that $200 chemistry textbook. Not to worry, you don’t have to resign yourself to a life of reading it in solitude just because it cost a small fortune. There are lots of free activities happening near you.

DRAG SHOW
WEDNESDAY
Come for the food and stay for the drag show. The UNM LGBTQ Resource Center is celebrating its two-year anniversary with food, prizes, flag-raising and drag. The event is from 3 to 6 p.m. at 608 Buena Vista Drive N.E., and you can email the center for more info at lgbtqrc@unm.edu.

TEEN COURT
THURSDAY
Watch justice in action as teens are tried and sentenced by a jury of their peers. It’s an educational event as well as an opportunity to try to figure out who stole your car stereo or slashed your tires. Court begins at 4:30 p.m. at the Juvenile Justice Center at 5100 Second St. N.W.

CONCERT
THURSDAY
Singer-songwriter Shane Wallin performs live at Jinja Bar and Bistro. Wallin’s music is a soul/pop combo, and he performed at Hopfest this weekend. He was voted best new singer-songwriter by Albuquerque The Magazine. His show starts at 8 p.m. at 8900 Holly Ave. N.E.

BARBECUE
FRIDAY
Treat yourself to a free barbecue hosted by African American Student Services. Enjoy music by the Southern University Band and meet the D9 Greeks in Mesa Vista courtyard at 5 p.m..

TAMARIND EXHIBIT
THROUGH FRIDAY
Explore the world of cultural and racial experience this week at the Tamarind Institute. Brazilian and American artists explore racial identity through the medium of lithography at 2500 Central Ave. S.E. from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

MUSIC AND ICE CREAM
SATURDAY
Head out to Tijeras for a breath of fresh air and an old fashioned jam session at the Old Tyme Shop and Ice Cream Parlor. The music of Don Schink with Clean Country begins at 4 p.m. A variety of other local artists will be playing as well. The shop is at 10786 New Mexico 337 in Tijeras.

MUSEUM
SUNDAY
Spend your Sunday with Georgia O’Keeffe and other southwestern artists. Take a stroll through the sculpture garden, and when you’re finished, hop over to Old Town for a walk through the plaza. The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History continues to offer free admission from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Sunday. Find the museum at 2000 Mountain Road N.W.