vbprint.jpg

Freshman outside hitter Alijah Gunsaulus goes for a spike against Duquesne University on Aug. 25. The Lobos will play for head coach Jeff Nelson’s 100th victory today.

100-win milestone impends for head coach

assistantsports@dailylobo.com

The UNM volleyball team needs one win this weekend to hit a landmark for head coach Jeff Nelson.

After four wins at last weekend’s Tiger Invitational at Savannah State University in Savannah, Ga., Nelson hit the 99-win mark during his six-year tenure at UNM. One more win pushes him to 100 Lobo victories.

“Ninety-nine — ha, it’s a long career,” Nelson said. “I probably have coached and played in 500 or 550 matches. It’s one more match, but it’ll be nice to have that. It’s been just great being a part of this department and this group, and this is where I plan to finish my career.”

Nelson has an all-time coaching record of 342-202. If Nelson hits the 100-win mark, it will be his second time doing so – his first 100 wins came as Texas Tech head coach in 1999. He joined the 300-win club on Nov. 27, 2009, when the Lobos captured a 3-1 win over New Orleans.

“It does go fast,” he said with a chuckle. “You know, it’s been really fun to coach here at the University of New Mexico. It’s been great to be in the volleyball program. We have a huge fan base. They’re awesome to all of us and it’s been really enjoyable.”

Nelson’s current record at UNM is 99-56. With a win, Nelson will become the second volleyball coach to reach 100 victories for UNM.

Laurel Brassey Iversen has the most wins for a UNM volleyball coach. Over a 17-year span dating from 1983 to 2000, Brassey Iversen amassed a 290-210 record.

The Lobos are looking to make sure their goal is reached this weekend at another home tournament, the Sheraton Airport/Comcast Lobo Invitational.

“I think that’s really exciting, especially to be on the team when he gets it,” junior libero Miquella Lovato said. “Hopefully we do get it.”

UNM enters this four-team tournament riding a wave of momentum.

The Lobos are 7-1 after a four-match sweep at the Tiger Invitational, beating UNC Asheville, Maryland-Eastern Shore, Kennesaw State and Savannah State. UNM dropped just one set in the tournament.

UNM begins play at this weekend’s home invitational with a match today against Georgia Southern. On Saturday, the Lobos play the Portland Pilots and UC Santa Barbara. “All are pretty good teams this year,” Nelson said. “Santa Barbara is a perennial powerhouse in volleyball, so it will be a good weekend to gauge where we’re at moving forward.”

This weekend marks UNM’s third tournament in four straight weeks, each with at least three matches.

Lovato said the grueling early-season stretch has its benefits and its downsides. As a positive, Lovato said it gives the youth-laden squad a chance to get acclimated to each other. However, it also means a long, exhausting weekend.

“That’s very valuable that we’re starting with so many games, especially before conference,” she said. “That way we learn how to play with each other no matter what. It’s pretty cool just getting to know and play with different people.”

Volleyball
Friday:
vs. Georgia Southern
7:30 p.m.

Saturday:
vs. Portland
1 p.m.
vs. UC Santa Barbara
7:30 p.m.
Johnson Center