The Weekly Free

If you spent too much money getting your writer friend to do your English paper for you, or sending someone to take a math test in your stead, your pockets might be a little empty. Just kidding, nobody actually cheats on anything … right? But the empty pockets remain. To patch them up, check out some of this week’s freebies.

MUSIC
ANY DAY

Amazon’s Artists on the Rise for this month include Purity Ring, Shel, A Thing Called Diving Fits, Banshee and Kins. I haven’t heard of any of them either — I guess that’s why they’re free. Check it out at Amazon.com by typing “artists on the rise mp3” into the search bar. Or just follow the QR code.

KRISPY KREME DOUGHNUTS
WEDNESDAY

Dust off your pirate garb and head to Krispy Kreme at 2270 Wyoming Blvd. N.E. for a free dozen donuts — but no weapons allowed. Or if your pirate wardrobe is lacking on Talk Like a Pirate Day, talk like a pirate and they’ll give you one anyway.

MOVIE
WEDNESDAY

The Kimo Theatre celebrates its 85th anniversary with a screening of “Milagro Beanfield War,” music, a tour, cake and sparkling cider. Yum. The theater is at 423 Central Ave. N.W., and the event starts at 5:30 p.m. The mayor sent out an official invitation, so you better be there.

ASTRONOMY
WEDNESDAY

The Tony Hillerman Library offers this event from 4 to 5 p.m., in which participants learn about astronomical topics — and it’s all hands on. Apparently you should “get ready to blast off on a journey through the solar system.” As fun as it sounds, I doubt you’ll need your space suit for this one. The library is at 8205 Apache Ave. N.E. You can call 291-6264 for more information.

NEANDERTHALS
THURSDAY

Learn all about these “folks like us” from Fred H. Smith, an anthropologist from Illinois State University. The talk is in room 163 of the Anthropology building at 7:30 p.m.

HOBBIT READING AND CAKE
SATURDAY

Munch on a piece of cake after sharing your most intimate memories of “The Hobbit” with the world. Bookworks celebrates the 75th anniversary of J.R.R. Tolkien’s bestseller by asking readers to share their favorite passages. Bookworks is at 4022 Rio Grande Blvd. N.W. The event starts at 10:30 a.m. Call 344-8139 for more information.