The Weekly Free

Exercise your right to be free. The Daily Lobo is here to help you to do just that — literally. Check out these free events for the week, you idealistic dreamer.

SOLAR ENERGY
TODAY
Here comes the sun, doo doo doo doo. And it’s time to use that sun power for good. Learn about the basics of photovoltaics and solar energy at the New Mexico Solar Energy Association meeting at REI from 6 to 8 p.m. REI is at 1550 Mercantile Ave. N.E.

TEACHER OPEN HOUSE
WEDNESDAY
If you’re too school for cool, you might think it’s cool to do school things even when you’re not in class. Or maybe your little sister is home-schooled and you want to enrich her curriculum. The New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science, the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History and ¡Explora! host a Teacher Open House. The event starts at 5:30 p.m. at ¡Explora!, and there is also a free show at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science’s 3-D DynaTheater at 5:30 p.m. The museums are on Mountain Road across from Tiguex Park.

POETRY
THURSDAY
Poets Luis J. Rodriguez and Richard Garcia bring their spoken-word talents to the halls of Dane Smith. Just going to something other than math class in Dane Smith should be a delight. The event starts at 7 p.m. in room 125.

CRAFT FAIR
FRIDAY
Pull out your knitting needles and get cracking on that hat you’ve wanted to make for 10 years. Just kidding, students don’t have any free time. But if you still want a hand-knitted hat, check out the Assistance League of Albuquerque Arts and Crafts Fair. It’s at 5211 Lomas Blvd. N.E. from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

NATIONAL PARK
SATURDAY
It seems like this happens a lot: the national parks offer free admission. Who knows why they aren’t free all the time, given that they’re supposed to be for the general public. But that’s a conversation for another day. The Petroglyph National Monument is in Albuquerque at 6001 Unser Blvd. N.W.

JOAN SNYDER PRINTS
UNTIL DECEMBER 15
This exhibit at the UNM Art Museum chronicles Joan Snyder’s voyages into printmaking. Apparently her work discusses themes of feminism, motherhood, social identity and morality. The exhibit is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.