The Weekly Free

It’s back to the daily grind, but don’t suffer more than you have to. Here’s your weekly dose of freedom.

DESSERT
TODAY OR WEDNESDAY
If you’re having a snack attack, “Like” the Chili’s page on Facebook and you will receive a free dessert. Hurry, though: the offer expires Wednesday.

MOVIE
WEDNESDAY
“The Hi-Lo Country” is a New Mexico-based flick, and it’s apparently a western “buddy ol’ pal” type of movie — your favorite. The movie plays at the KiMo Theatre in celebration of New Mexico’s centennial — yes, we’re still celebrating. Most of the filming was done in New Mexico, plus Penélope Cruz is in it, which is reason enough alone. The film starts at 7 p.m. at the KiMo Theatre at 423 Central Ave. N.W.

HIKING BASICS
WEDNESDAY
If you’ve always wanted to hike the Sandias in the fall but didn’t know where to start, your savior is here. No, it’s not me; it’s REI. REI holds a class in which you can learn about trip planning, essential equipment and places to visit. The class is at 6 p.m. at 1550 Mercantile Ave. N.E.

KNITTING
THURSDAY
It’s getting chilly out, but you poor students can’t afford new warm clothes. Why not make your own instead? It might take a while, but knitters at the North Valley Library will teach you. The event starts at 2 p.m. at 7704-B Second St. N.W.

FIESTA
SATURDAY
A baby llama will help you celebrate your cultural diversity at the Coronado State Monument this weekend. The Fiesta of Cultures starts at 10 a.m. and features murals, a craft table and a gift shop. The monument is at 485 Kuaua Road in Bernalillo.

PAPER MARIGOLDS
SATURDAY
Día de los Muertos is coming up, so a slew of events are headed your way. Altars: History, Traditions and Symbols teaches participants about altar construction and paper marigolds. The event starts at 1 p.m. at 803 La Vega Dr. S.W. at El Jardín Enterprises Studios.