The Weekly Free

Nobody is stressed out by the slew of final projects and life at the end of the semester is just a breeze. Not. Don’t feel pressured to attend all of this week’s freebies — but I bet you’ll end up there, anyway. This week’s events are just that good.

GENEALOGY
TODAY

Thanksgiving may have you wondering how you could possibly be related to all the crazies in your family. Usually, tracing your ancestry costs a fortune and a half, but the library offers a free alternative. You can research your family using the library’s resources. Just show up to the Main Library at 501 Copper Ave. N.W. from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

CENTRAL BUS MEETING
THURSDAY

If you want a faster, more reliable bus, tell ABQ RIDE all about it at this public meeting. The organization is looking for comments from the public, so don’t be shy. The meeting is at the Alamosa Community Center at 6900 Gonzales Road S.W. at 6 p.m.

CHRISTMAS TREE
FRIDAY

No, they aren’t giving away free Christmas trees. But they are decorating a bunch of trees for your viewing pleasure. Plus there are excerpts from “The Nutcracker” and a slew of other events over the weekend. The festivities are at Sandia Resort and Casino at 30 Rainbow Road N.E. The tree lighting is at 11 a.m. and the music starts at 6 p.m. Visit CarrieTingleyHospitalFoundation.org for more information.

CHRISTMAS PARADE
SATURDAY

Santa Claus is making an appearance in Madrid, N.M., this weekend — and in every mall in New Mexico at the same time. But in Madrid there’s also a Scottish marching band, twinkle lights and a lighting ceremony. Anyway, Madrid is also the cutest town ever, according to Editor–in-Chief Liz Cleary. The parade starts on Main Street (Highway 14) in Madrid at 4 p.m.

PUEBLO STORIES
SATURDAY

If you need a break from Santa’s jolly ho ho hos and Christmas, check out the Pueblo winter storytelling event. Stories include “Grandmother Spider Brings the Sun,” “How Rabbit got his Long Ears,” “Dog Tails” and “Star Woman” — no trace of Santa or western religion in any of them. It’s at 11 a.m. at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center at 2401 12th Street N.W.

LUMINARIAS
SUNDAY

If you want to see Santa out in nature, he’ll also be visiting the Coronado State Monument at 485 Kuaua Road, Bernalillo, this weekend. There will also be luminarias, a bonfire, Zia dancers, caroling and hot drinks starting at 5 p.m.