The Weekly Free

The Weekly Free salutes all you poor kids who couldn’t buy anything last week and won’t be buying anything next week. It’s the vicious cycle of student poverty. Check out this week’s freebies for a moment of respite this week.

QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS
TODAY
Buff up on your economics with this workshop hosted by Jee Hwang. Participants will learn about quantitative research, types of data and how to use the computer program Stata. The workshop is in Travelstead Hall, room 125, from noon to 1 p.m.

BEHAVIORAL HEALTH CENTER OPEN HOUSE
WEDNESDAY
You don’t have to know what the Central Desert Behavioral Health Center is to score some free food and listen to live music. The open house, which celebrates the unveiling of this new 26-bed facility for seniors, runs from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the center, which is at 239 Elm St. N.E.

SIERRA CLUB MEETING
THURSDAY
The first 25 people to arrive at O’Niell’s Irish Pub for this meeting receive a free drink ticket — that’s all you need to know. Unless you’re interested in the toxins that we breathe every day, which is pretty interesting stuff. The Sierra Club is a historic conservation and environmental organization. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. at 4310 Central Ave. S.E.

FIRE AND ICE FESTIVAL
SATURDAY
A chain saw carving competition, a crosscut sawing competition, a beer garden and a chili cook-off — sounds like New Mexico heaven to me. Of course the food and such isn’t free, but the festival is. Plus you can hit up the hot springs while you’re in Jemez Springs. The festival runs from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the Village Plaza in Jemez Springs.

WINTER WOOL FESTIVAL
SATURDAY
Watch and learn how Churro sheep wool becomes sweaters and blankets. You can see artisans crafting woolen items and dying them with plant dyes at 10 a.m. at the Botanic Garden. The gardens are at 2601 Central Ave. N.W.

TREE CARE
SATURDAY
Cutting trees down seems to be a thing lately, so learn what you’re doing before heading out with the clippers. At this workshop at Osuna Nurseries, you can learn about basic tree care, including selection, pruning and watering. The workshop runs from 10 to 11 a.m. and the nursery is at 501 Osuna Road. N.E.
~compiled by Nicole Perez