The Weekly Free

The minimum wage increase may have put some more money in your pockets, but don’t blow it all now. You’ll need solid savings built up when you’re struggling to find a job after graduation. Here are some ways to do something besides work and study without burning a hole in your wallet.

BRAZILIAN “FATTER TUESDAY”
TODAY
The UNM Brazil Club’s “carnival extravaganza” sounds like the hottest free event of the year. There’s free food, face painting, music by the UNM Percussion Ensemble, a costume contest, Brazilian babes and the chance to win an iPod shuffle — what more could one ask for? The event runs 5 to 8 p.m. in SUB Ballroom B.

TO WRITE LOVE ON HER ARMS
THURSDAY
This nonprofit movement aims to raise awareness about suicide, depression and self-injury. The event includes a talk from the movement’s founder, as well as live music.

ZOMBIES AND BRAINS
THURSDAY
Timothy Verstynen from Carnegie Mellon University said zombies can be understood as the manifestation of neurological impairments. The professor’s analysis of neuroscience as related to this pop-culture phenomenon is accessible to nerds and non-nerds alike. The talk is in the Centennial Engineering Auditorium at 7 p.m. RSVP at UnmAlumni.com/zombie-rsvp or by calling (505) 277-5808.

MEAN GIRLS
FRIDAY
Another top event for The Weekly Free is “Uni Night,” a series of free Friday night diversions. This week’s event is a screening of “Mean Girls.” Ice cream sandwiches and T-shirts will be handed out, too. The event starts at 8 p.m. in the SUB Atrium.

LOBO DAY
FRIDAY
You know you want your face plastered next to the Chick-fil-A in the SUB. The most enthusiastic Lobos always show up for this event, which features an hourlong, scream-and-woof-filled photo shoot. You can get birthday cake without being in the picture if it’s not your cup of tea. The event starts at noon in the SUB Atrium.

XERISCAPE
SUNDAY
Get tips on how to save water through low-impact garden designs. You can get advice from expert gardeners, buy plants suitable for xeriscapes if you have extra cash and visit the exhibitors. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Creative Arts Center at Expo New Mexico at 300 San Pedro Drive N.E.