Exhibition between MLS, Mexican league teams on Friday

Major League Soccer's Colorado Rapids battles Santos Laguna of Prima Division at University Stadium.

@ThomasRomeroS

The competitiveness of a “friendly,” an international soccer match that doesn’t count toward league standings, usually depends on what else is on the line.

Some friendlies are more competitive than others when there is national pride at stake or a club wants to show that it can compete against a top team. Neither of these situations will apply when the Colorado Rapids, a Major League Soccer team, and the Santos Laguna, from Mexico’s Prima Division, face off Friday.

The match will be held at University Stadium at 7:30 p.m. and it’s billed as the “Border Clásico.”

“It will be competitive,” Rapids executive Brian Crookham said. “Both teams are going to bring the healthiest groups that they can put on the field. Barring any injuries, you’re going to see the stars for good portions of this match. I haven’t seen a player yet that walked out and didn’t want to win when they get there.”

Santos, based in Torreón, Mexico, is one of Mexico’s most storied franchises with four championships since its inception in 1983. The team also has been in the last two CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football) Champion League finals.