The Weekly Free

Hello, class, and welcome to Freelosophy 101, in which we’ll discuss both classical and modern approaches to the age-old questions that have puzzled great thrifters for generations. What is the meaning of free? Is there free after death? Is there really no such thing as a free lunch?

These are just a few of the notions we’ll explore through the scope of this week’s freebies. Get those pens and notebooks out … of your own volition, of course.

Writing Workshop
Tuesday

It’s true: there will be a writing workshop featuring free instruction and help with poetry, short-story writing and more starting at 4 p.m. at the Bernalillo County Computer Clubhouse (1221 Arenal Road S.W.). This workshop is free to attend, but will you attend of your own free will, or because it’s predetermined that you’ll be there? Regardless, it sounds like an excellent place to write me a three-page paper on determinism.

‘Casting By’ Screening
Wednesday

It appears that a screening for the documentary “Casting By” will be shown at 7 p.m. at the Lensic Performing Arts Center (211 W. San Francisco Street) in Santa Fe. The film focuses on the position of casting director and what goes into the job of casting actors and actresses in identity-assuming roles. This should be excellent background for next week’s lecture on Leibniz and the indiscernible.

Beer for Blood
Saturday

Marble Brewery (111 Marble Ave. N.W.) is understood to be offering a pint glass — it’s illegal to hand out free beer — in exchange for a pint of blood between 1 and 5 p.m. This is part of a challenge done in conjunction with United Blood Services to determine Brewery of the Year. But is the length of that year relative or something absolute? Consider this debate (it’ll be on the midterm) when you make your appointment to give blood by calling UBS at 1(800) 333-8037.

Summerfest
Saturday

Central Avenue between Girard and Washington is the location of the 8th Annual NM Jazz Festival between 2 and 10:30 p.m. With over 100 musicians, a car show, food trucks, a KidZone and beer gardens aplenty, there will be lots of stuff to experience on Nob Hill … but whether or not it happens entirely in your mind is the question you’ll have to ask yourself between events. Use the chance to craft your thesis statement for the final on idealism.