8/12_volleyball3

‘Our best freshman class ever’

@Liam_CE

After an injury-filled 2012, UNM head volleyball coach Jeff Nelson enters this season with a slimmer frame and high expectations for the UNM volleyball team.

Expect a youthful transition, as Nelson will begin this year with six new freshmen along with a healthy starting squad.

The Lobos suffered a disappointing end to the 2012 season losing to Colorado State without three key players, sophomore middle backer Elsa Krieg, redshirt freshman outside hitter Ashley Kelsey and redshirt freshman defensive specialist Sara Stelzer. The Lobos will have a lot of new faces on their roster this year complementing six starters from last year.

In order to overcome any injury problems, the Lobos looked for some needed depth at every position.

Nelson said he feels confident in the Lobos’ new young talent.
“We touted this as maybe our best freshmen class ever,” he said. “It sure looked like it because they all contributed in a really good way.”

Two of the incoming freshmen come into the season having already played for Nelson.

Nelson had previously coached outside hitter Julia Warren and outside hitter Cassie House on a club volleyball team during their freshman and sophomore years in high school.

Nelson said acclimating to the pace of collegiate ball will be the biggest adjustment for Warren, House and with the other freshmen.
“It’s a great testament to our program that they (Warren and House) stayed local and chose to be a part of this program and make this program better,” Nelson said.

Along with the new players, the Lobos are also going to have to focus on new teams within their own conference, which include Utah State and San Jose State.

Senior libero Miquella Lovato said the number-one goal for her final season is to win a conference championship.

“We are really going to push this team and really let them know how important it is to go to the NCAA tournament,” Lovato said.
Nelson knows that the conference expansion poses for some new challenges and increased competition.

“The conference is the deepest that it has ever been. We’ve got six teams that can win the conference this year,” Nelson said. “In the past we have only talked about two or three.”

Redshirt junior right side hitter Chantale Riddle said the team still has a lot to work on in order to attain its goal of being conference champion.

“As upperclassmen, we know we have to motivate people every day to work hard,” Riddle said. “That is the team that we are going to be. We’re going to be very aggressive and we’re going to be tough.”

Volleyball vs. Alumnae
(exhibition game)
Aug. 24, 6 p.m.
Johnson Center