The Weekly Free

This Weekly Free is for all the Albuquerque newcomers. The Duke City has many treasures to be discovered, many of which are free. Here’s a short list of some of our favorites.

Check out the view
Any day

One of the best features of the city is its incredible beauty from afar. Driving east on Indian School Road will take adventurers to the foothills of the Sandias. The road ends at a small parking lot that overlooks the city. This stunning view is breathtaking at any time, but truly inspiring after sundown.

Go fishin’
Any day

For those feeling a bit homesick for water, grass and trees, Tingley Beach is a great spot. The beach features catch and release fishing ponds, pedal boat rentals and a model boat pond. Tingley Beach is open every day from dawn until dusk at 1800 Tingley Drive S.W.

Local Stories
Tuesday

Head to local book store Bookworks at 4022 Rio Grande Blvd. N.W. to hear local author and attorney Michael Kushner read from his new sci-fi/mystery novel, “A City at Night.” Kushner will be reading and signing from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.

Dance the night away
Thursday

The Old Town area, which features the city’s oldest church and a delightful collection of local shops and galleries, is at its best when local musicians take to the outdoor stage in the center of the plaza. Join musicians Skip Batchelor and Shelley Morningsong from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. for an evening of authentic southwestern music.

Get arty
Sunday

The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History is free to the public from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. every Sunday. The museum is at 2000 Mountain Road N.W.