9/23_wsoccer

UNM midfielder Ruth Bruciaga (7) engages with UC Davis forward Sienna Drizin (13) during their match Sunday afternoon. The Lobos took the Aggies into double overtime keeping the score 0-0.

Gusty game ends with double-overtime tie

@tellyboyd

The New Mexico women’s soccer team couldn’t catch the breaks it needed in a 0-0 double overtime tie to UC Davis at the UNM Soccer Complex on Sunday, ending the Jack in the Box Classic without a win.

The Lobos (2-7-1) had three opportunities to score in the first overtime, including one by freshman midfielder Katie Hinman that UC Davis goalie Taylor Jern saved. The other two shots sailed wide of the net.

On Friday, UNM lost to UC Santa Barbara 2-0. It is UNM’s fourth loss at the UNM Soccer Complex after holding a 24-3-4 home record over the last four seasons.

“We were sound and together and strong,” UNM head coach Kit Vela said. “I’m real proud of their effort. They bent but they didn’t break today, and that’s a good thing.”

Aside from a three-goal game against Rice on Sept. 6, UNM has had trouble finding the net recently. The Lobos have seven losses this season by one goal or more, and three 1-0 setbacks. The team has only one goal in its last four outings.

Both teams took opportunities during Sunday’s game. UNM fired 12 shots, four of which were on goal. Freshman Ruth Bruciaga and senior Elba Holguin, both midfielders, attempted three shots each, with Holguin’s chances coming in the first half and Bruciaga’s happening in the second half. Hinman also took two shots on goal in overtime.

Three of UNM’s four shots on goal came in overtime.

Davis, meanwhile, had 10 shots among eight different players, including two apiece from senior midfielders Ashley Edwards and Bridget Berman. UNM goalie Cassie Ulrich stopped two Davis shots on goal.

Strong winds from the south along with UNM defensive pressure contributed to the shutout, Vela said.

“I think that we put so much pressure on them they didn’t really get good looks at the goal,” she said. “When we went against the wind they had some outside opportunities that were a little bit scary just because anywhere you hit them the wind was carrying it. We stuck with the game plan and played some very good soccer at times.”

In Friday’s game, UCSB received goals from sophomore midfielder Angelisa Cortez and junior forward Madison Beckley. UNM outshot the Gauchos by a 16-5 mark but had two hit the crossbar.

“I think we’ve hit more post this season than all my other twelve years combined,” Vela said. “It is what it is. We are creating the chances, we’re doing the right things, one shot on goal in the second half. We need to stop giving away the softer goals and make more of our chances.”

In other news at the Classic, Texas Tech captured a 3-0 win over UC Davis Friday and a 2-0 victory over UCSB Sunday.