Lobo men stunned, suffer second straight soccer loss

Despite attempting 13 shots, including six on goal, the No. 14 New Mexico men’s soccer team dropped its second consecutive game after a 1-0 loss to unranked Drake Friday night at the UNM Soccer Complex.

The Lobos fall to 3-2-1 on the season.

The teams played scoreless soccer for most of the game before Drake (2-3-2) scored with three and a half minutes remaining. Midfielder Addison Eck received a long ball from defender Nick Marshall and fired the ball past UNM goalkeeper Michael Lisch.

With four shots, all on goal, UNM midfielder Michael Calderon had as many shots as the entire Bulldog roster. The Eck score was Drake’s only attempt on goal, but goalkeeper Darrin MacLeod saved six Lobo shots. UNM outshot Drake 7-2 in the first half.

Last Sunday UNM lost a 3-2 game to then-No. 11 Cal State Northridge. The Lobos were ranked ninth before the setback.

The team resumes action on Monday when it travels to UC Santa Barbara. Game time is 7 p.m. Mountain Time.

Women’s Soccer

Prior to the men’s game, the UNM women opened play in the Jack in the Box Classic with a 2-0 loss to UC Santa Barbara.

Midfielder Angelina Cortez scored the first goal at the 16:22 mark off a deflection following a corner kick, putting the ball in the lower left corner of the net. Forward Allie Ariniello and midfielder Geneve Dromensk were credited with assists on Cortez’s goal.

At the 74:07 mark, midfielder Madison Beckley took a centering pass from midfielder Indiana Mead and scored from six yards out.

The Lobos (2-7-0) lost by more than one goal for the first time this season despite having a 16-5 shot advantage on the Gauchos. UNM goalkeeper Cassie Ulrich made two saves, while UCSB keeper Beth Ritter stopped three Lobo shots on goal.

Earlier Friday, Texas Tech captured a 3-0 win over UC Davis in a match at Robertson Field.

The classic concludes Sunday with Texas Tech playing UCSB at 10:30 a.m. and UNM taking on UC Davis at 1:10 p.m.