9/9_soccer

Annie Wheeler battles for possession with a Rice University opponent at the UNM Soccer Complex on Friday. The Lobos won their game against Rice 3-0 but lost two days later against Michigan State 0-1.

‘There are no mental breaks at this level’

Lobos go 1-1 over weekend vs. Rice, MSU

@tellyboyd

The New Mexico women’s soccer team dominated most of the game against Michigan State on Sunday, but a fluke goal cost them the contest.

The goal came in the 83rd minute after the ball bounced off UNM defender Liz Nare right past junior goalie Cassie Ulrich. MSU defender Nicole Caruso was credited with the goal, her first of the season.

UNM (2-4-0) couldn’t get the equalizer and went on to lose 1-0 to MSU (4-0-2)

“I thought we played really, really well at times and did the right things and our young attackers were doing the right things and getting shots off,” head coach Kit Vela said. “But you know when you hit too many posts and you panic in front of the goal a couple of times, the keeper made some great saves, and there is nothing you can do about it.”

The Lobos had seven corner kicks and outshot the Spartans 18-6.
Vela said scoring a goal is a matter of luck and the Lobos didn’t have any luck on Sunday.

“I think it’s a bit of a character check for these young girls,” Vela said. “Players coming off the bench have to be mentally a little more prepared and not so nervous. I think that’s the hardest part for young players, there are no mental breaks at this level, not when you are playing the top opponents.”

On Friday at the UNM Soccer Complex, UNM handily defeated Rice University 3-0.

Senior defender Brianna Webster scored the first goal of the game when she headed the ball into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead. Sophomore midfielder Dylann O’Connor was credited with the assist on the play.

The second goal came from Savannah Viola who rocketed a free kick from 52 yards out right over Rice’s goalie for her first career goal.

Viola, who set the new school record for the longest goal in UNM history, said she didn’t expect the shot to go in.

“It was awesome,” Viola said, “I haven’t scored a goal that far, not on this size field.”

The last goal of the game was made by freshman midfielder Tera Trujillo after an assist from sophomore midfielder Alyssa Coonrod.