Student has fighting spirit despite obstacles

opinion@dailylobo.com

Angelica Torrez is just another face on campus to most who see her. However, getting to know her, she is so much more than that; she’s smiley and happy, always chatting with anyone interested in sharing a moment with her. She’s never alone, constantly surrounded by friends and always so happy to be alive. She is also a proud Lobo and a dedicated student at UNM.

“Jely,” as her friends know her, is one of my closest and best friends because once you meet her, it’s hard to be away from her.

Those who are close to her have an inside look at what made her the woman she is. Her life hasn’t had much of a break since age 7 and it’s amazing to most that she has made it as far as she has with while keeping so much spontaneity and optimism.

Angelica, who turned 21 on June 10, has been in a constant war with her body and not always on the winning end. Yet somehow, she presses on with more optimism and strength than anyone can imagine given her circumstances. The people in her life are touched by her presence because in her there is a fighting spirit that is honestly contagious. It’s impossible to be someone who gives up on life when you meet her, because even in the midst of everything that’s been thrown at her, she is still moving on and up, fighting for her life.

At the age of 7, Angelica was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma. This type of cancer in children is the second most common tumor to be found in the bone. Most often this cancer attacks bones of the pelvis, tibia, fibula and femur, and can also grow in the soft tissues. The cause of this cancer in children is unknown. She beat it, though, even at such a young and fragile phase in life. This victory was short-lived, though, because she relapsed by the age of 9; it was then that she received a stem-cell transplant.

The road to health has never been easy for her and Jely has gone through over 30 surgeries. Liz Torrez, Angelica’s aunt and an employee with the University of New Mexico, said this about her niece: “I always ask myself, ‘How could one person endure so much suffering, pain and hardship and not break or lose spirit?’ One thing is for certain, we knew she would pull through. When times are tough in my life or I feel defeated I think of my Jely and how she beats the odds of survival and still can put a smile on her face and move forward despite the challenges. She’s my inspiration.”

Her family knows that Angelica isn’t just an inspiration; she is a living miracle. Bessie Gallegos, Angelica’s grandmother, also a UNM employee, says this about Angelica: “This quote from Ella Wheeler Wilcox reminds me of how Angelica has lived and lives her life ‘There is no chance, no destiny, no fate that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.’ I am convinced that Angelica is a determined soul with a defined purpose.

Angelica has taught those who know and love her that one cannot make excuses and give up when you are challenged and that you should live life to its fullest every, every day.”

This summer while Angelica was on vacation visiting family in San Diego, she paid a visit to the hospital complaining of some severe abdominal pain which led to the discovery of an intestinal blockage. Four days after her admittance to the hospital, her intestine ruptured and her body was overcome by severe infection.

She was put on life support through this violent infection. There were a lot of times where we thought this wasn’t going to end well, where fear set in. However, her strength showed through yet again and more powerful than ever. But, with all that was going on, Jely developed gangrene in her feet which led to a double amputation.

Fundraising is currently going on in California and over the internet for Angelica’s prosthetics while she is in rehabilitation, regaining the strength and mobility she had before. Her passion for life leaves no doubt about what it takes to be alive and thriving. Even now she progresses more and more every, single day, talking about coming home to Albuquerque and back to her normal, daily life yet again. Her fighter’s spirit lives on, even during this moment where it is almost impossible to see the bright light in the distance.

Keep her in your thoughts, prayers and meditations. We look forward to having her back on campus soon, in good health and working toward her degree again.