10/21_wsoccer

Midfielder Dylann O’Connor battles for possession with a Nevada opponent at the UNM Soccer Complex on Friday. The Lobos earned a berth into the Mountain West Conference tournament with their weekend wins over conference foes Nevada and UNLV.

Weekend wins gives women MWC berth

@tellyboyd

The New Mexico women’s soccer team earned a berth into the Mountain West Conference tournament this weekend thanks to wins over conference foes Nevada and UNLV.

The Lobos (8-8-1, 6-1-0 Mountain West Conference) beat UNLV on Sunday 1-0 at the UNM Soccer Complex. UNM is still tied with San Diego State (8-6-2, 6-1 MWC) for first place in the conference.
The only goal of the game was made by sophomore midfielder Lindsey Guice. The 77th-minute goal was Guice’s fifth of the year and came from 12 yards out.

“I thought we played very well for the most part; the first half we had some holes that they were exposing and I thought the second half we did a good job of closing those holes out,” said head coach Kit Vela. “I thought overall we played very well with an amazing goal by Lindsey Guice.”

UNM took 12 shots and six were on goal. Three of them were fired by Guice. UNLV (7-8-2, 2-5-0) fired nine shots, four of which were on goal.

“I thought we had some other tremendous opportunities both in the first and second half just weren’t able to convert,” Vela said.
Vela said the team needs to be more patient in order to convert more of its opportunities.

“I think the whole team played really well and we kept our patience,” she said. “They are a very good offensive team, very, very good, very dangerous.”

UNM goalkeeper Cassie Ulrich recorded her seventh shutout of the season in the victory.

On Friday, UNM defeated Nevada 3-2.

Ruth Bruciaga, Maddie Irwin and Dylann O’Connor scored for UNM. The Lobos scored both of Nevada’s goals.

The first own goal came in the fourth minute and the other happened in the 77th minute.

The Lobos travel to Utah State and Boise state this coming weekend.