The Weekly Free

New things to learn? Check. Art to see and hear? Check? Relevant pop culture activities? Check. Looks like a good week to be in Albuquerque.

Master paper… before it masters you
Tuesday

Local artist Vicki Bolen will be hosting the Alamosa Origami Club at the Alamosa Public Li brary. The workshop runs from 3:45 to 5 p.m. and is open to anyone from complete beginners to paper adepts. The Alamosa Library is located at 6900 Gonzales S.W.

Hear a thriving local band
Wednesday

Local quartet Watermelon Mountain Jug Band will be playing their folk tunes at La Cumbre Brewing Company from 6 to 9 p.m. The group, comprising four local educators, has been blowing away audiences with its unique sounds for more than 35 years and was called a “treasured natural resource” by the Albuquerque Journal. La Cumbre Brewing Company is located at 3313 Girard Blvd. N.E. 21

Food fight, Hunger Games style
Thursday

The Main Library will host its own version of the Hunger Games. Players will have to race to a cornucopia and get what they think they’ll need to survive. Prizes are involved. The hour-and-a-half long event will start at 4 p.m. The Main Library is located at 501 Copper Ave. N.W. All ages.

Learn to draw more than stick figures
Thursday

OFFCenter Community Arts Project will host its weekly basic drawing lessons from 1 to 3 p.m. The lesson will be taught by esteemed local artist Dave Blecha. OFFCenter is located at 808 Park S.W.

Artists of the future
Friday

The four-year-old Art.Write.Now.Tour will be showcasing the creative works from this year’s teen winners of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The tour will display 130 pieces of art and writing from aspiring artists from around the country. The National Hispanic Cultural Center is housing the tour and will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Hispanic Cultural Center is located at 1701 Fourth St. S.W.

Because Albuquerque isn’t over “Breaking Bad” yet
Friday

Newly formed performance quintet Breaking Brass is hosting a one-hour debut concert at the Cathedral Church of St. John. The performance will be immediately followed by a screening of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1946 thriller “Notorious.” The performance begins at 5 p.m. The Cathedral Church of St. John is located at 318 Silver Ave. S.W. All ages. Performance is free and open to the public. Reservations required for the screening. Visit stjohnsabq.org for reservations.

There’s something funny here…
Saturday

Delinquents with Microphones will present “Funny Humans,” a two-hour comedy show at the Blackbird Buvette. Come laugh until it hurts as these comedians examine the strange things people do. Blackbird is located at 509 Central Ave. N.W. Show starts at 7 p.m. 21

The most important book of your childhood
Saturday

Fifty years ago, one man changed the literary world forever with a single book. That man was Maurice Sendak, and that book was “Where the Wild Things Are.” Bookworks is celebrating this incredible anniversary with a party. There will be stories and snacks at the bookstore and attendees are encouraged to dress up in “Wild Things”-themed attire. The celebration starts at 10:30 a.m. Bookworks is located at 4022 Rio Grande Blvd. N.W. All ages.