Alleged hazing cancels women's soccer opener

The New Mexico women’s soccer season opener has been cancelled due to an ongoing investigation into an alleged hazing incident, athletic director Paul Krebs announced Tuesday.

On Monday, the UNM Athletics Department announced it was using an outside investigator to determine the details of the incident and interview team members.

The game, originally scheduled for Friday at Texas Tech, would have been the season opener for both teams. UNM will now begin its season on Sept. 5 against Marquette in the Colorado College Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

UNM also cancelled the team’s Tuesday practice.

“We are continuing to interview student-athletes and investigate what happened on Sunday night,” Krebs said in a statement. “I’ve consulted with Texas Tech, and in light of our continuing investigation, we have decided to cancel the game.”

UNM Athletics is not allowed to comment on ongoing investigations, sports information officer Greg Archuleta said Monday.

The cancelled match between Texas Tech and New Mexico will not count toward either team’s record. According to the 2014 NCAA Soccer Rulebook, rule 7.4 states “When a scheduled game is terminated before it begins, it is recorded as “no contest.” Neither team is credited with a win or loss, regardless of the reason the game was terminated.”

The Lobos home opener is scheduled for Sept. 12 versus Loyola-Chicago at 7 p.m.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.