New Mexico women’s soccer Head Coach Kit Vela awaits questions from the media at the Tow Diehm Athletic Center on Wednesday. New Mexico Athletic Director Paul Krebs announced Friday that 22 women’s soccer players will be suspended for one game and head coach Kit Vela will be suspended for one week without pay for a hazing incident that occurred Sunday night.

Women's soccer players, coach suspended for hazing incident

New Mexico Athletic Director Paul Krebs announced Friday that 22 women’s soccer players will be suspended for one game and head coach Kit Vela will be suspended for one week without pay for a hazing incident that occurred Sunday night.

Vela is not permitted to have any contact with team beginning on Monday. Assistant coaches Jorge Vela and Krista Foo have been issued a letter of reprimand.

“We believe the disciplinary measures we have taken today send a clear message about the gravity of the incident, and that it is unacceptable and will not be tolerated,” Krebs said. “We feel we have a full understanding of what happened that night through the facts we received from the third-party investigation.”

On Wednesday, Krebs said the older players on the team pressured seven freshmen players into drinking while attending several parties. Later in the night, the freshmen were sprayed with “soap and water.” At one point during the night, the freshmen changed from their street clothes and were just in their bras and panties, Krebs said.

Krebs said even though none of the freshmen were forced to drink alcohol, that peer pressure is still an act of hazing.

The suspensions will be staggered throughout the season so the Lobos can field a team.
UNM cancelled today’s season opener at No. 17 Texas Tech because of the investigation into the hazing incident.

Check back on the Daily Lobo for more on this story.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor of the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.