Lobo redshirt senior right-side hitter Chantale Riddle (3) and freshman defensive specialist Stephanie Chavez (14) recover after both players fail to keep the ball in play during the game against Wyoming at Johnson Gym on Saturday afternoon. The Lobos lost to Wyoming 1-3, winning only one set of four.

Volleyball: Team's problems a mystery to coach, players

UNM (11-9, 4-4 Mountain West) is on a four-match losing streak, and the unit’s recently faltering play is baffling Nelson.

“I don’t really have answers right now,” Nelson said following a 3-1 loss to Wyoming (16-5, 5-3 MW) on Saturday.

The head coach said his team’s inability to maintain focus is part of the issue, and he is unsure of the root of the problem.

“I’ve never been more disappointed in a team,” Nelson said. “I’ll take some of the responsibility for that; I am beating my head up trying to get them to battle and fight.”

The Lobos have dropped 11 of the last 12 sets they’ve played during the four-game skid, plummeting to sixth place in the conference.

The Lobos dropped the first set of the match against Wyoming 26-24 after standing on set point with a one-point lead at 24-23. Sophomore defensive specialist Maddie Mayfield was unable to get the ball over the net on the serve, allowing Wyoming to tie the game and eventually prevail on a three-point run.

Mayfield did not return to the game following the mistake, after which freshman defensive specialist Taylor Cross took over.

“(Redshirt freshman outside hitter) Ashley Kelsey is out with a concussion, and Maddie Mayfield isn’t focused right now, so we have two freshmen playing those positions,” Nelson said. “They did a lot of good things, but they’re just not being tough.”

The second set also required extra play after the team found itself in a 16-10 hole before Nelson called a timeout to gather some focus. UNM battled back and tied the game at 24, but couldn’t find a way to pull out the 28-26 loss in the second set.

Nelson was displeased with sophomore Cassie House’s performance in the second set and benched his outside hitter. She accumulated seven kills, but recorded six errors.

House watched the rest of the game from the bench after two sets. Nelson said he needs more production from that spot in the rotation.

“She had the best matchup and she hit .000,” Nelson said. “She had as good a matchup as you could hope for and she didn’t make it happen.”

Sophomore outside hitter Julia Warren traded her gray libero jersey for a pink one, which the Lobos were wearing in honor of breast cancer awareness month.

Freshman defensive specialist Stephanie Chavez took over for Warren at libero, digging 19 balls off the hardwood in all four sets.

Following the changes, UNM finally put some rhythm together offensively in the third set as the team hit .220 — the only time the squad hit above the .200 mark. The Lobos won the set 25-22.

However, the changes didn’t provide enough of a spark in the fourth set as the Lobos couldn’t find an answer for the Cowgirls’ strong offensive production in the middle. Wyoming hit .308 in the 25-18 victory.

Although UNM didn’t achieve the desired outcome, sophomore Devanne Sours had a career day. The outside hitter had a career- and game-high 18 kills, but said the achievement was overshadowed by the team’s failure.

“I feel like I played well, but it’s not as fun when we’re not winning,” Sours said.

Sours said she, too, is looking to turn things around, if only the team could pinpoint its problems.

“I honestly don’t know what it is,” Sours said. “I think it’s a little bit of everything that we need to work on.”

New Mexico will look to alter its misfortunes in the last non-conference game against New Mexico State tonight in Johnson Center. The first serve is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Liam Cary-Eaves is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.