New Mexico defensive specialist Stephanie Chavez bumps the ball during the game against New Mexico State on Monday night. The Lobos swept the Aggies 3-0, snapping a four-match losing streak.

Lobos break losing skid

In a 3-0 sweep against New Mexico State (11-8, 5-2 WAC), the Lobos snapped a four-match losing streak with one of their better offensive performances of the season, hitting above .225 in each of the three sets. Junior middle blocker Skye Gullatt recorded seven kills on just nine attempts during the Rio Grande Rivalry match on Monday night.

“Frustrations just cause for more losses,” Gullatt said. “You’ve got to move on and learn from the last games.”

Gullatt said the team peaked in the match against the Aggies, and the team can only improve after struggling the past five games.

“The last four games we hadn’t really hit our full potential,” Gullatt said. “Coming off of that right there is going to take us higher.”

Head coach Jeff Nelson said setter Hannah Johnson’s recovery from her high ankle sprain is just one of the reasons he said the Lobos (12-9, 4-4 MW) were able to dominate the match.

“We blocked like we always do,” Nelson said. “We didn’t mess around, didn’t have a lot of hesitation ... that’s something that has been happening too much lately.”

Nelson said his squad came together after the 3-1 loss against Wyoming (16-5, M-3 MW) on Saturday and sorted some issues out in the locker room.

“We had a real heart to heart of our expectations of each other, how we talk to each other, being more honest with each other about what we expect,” Nelson said. “There was a lot of honesty, a lot of emotion but they bounced back from it really well.”

The team unity came together riding the backs of redshirt senior Chantale Riddle and redshirt junior Hannah Johnson, both recording their ninth double doubles of the 2014 campaign. Johnson tallied 28 assists on 11 digs while Riddle added 11 kills to her 11 digs.

Gullatt said the defense and well placed balls set her up for success in the middle.

“Our passes were really great tonight,” Gullatt said. “I give everything to them.”

The last time UNM swept the Aggies was back in 2009. The middle blocker said the prevailing performance against the Lobos’ in-state rivals felt good, but she said the team had nowhere to go but up after hitting rock bottom.

“It’s not just about volleyball; it’s a state thing,” Gullatt said. “Playing something bigger than ourselves is what fired us up.”

UNM is working on a short week with four matches in seven days. Nelson said the team will not be able to prepare for each team as vigorously as they usually can, which he said means the team needs to stay more focused.

“We can’t spend as many hours on each team and in the gym,” Nelson said. “We just have to manage our time better, higher quality and less time in the gym.”

The Lobos will host to Nevada (5-12, 2-5 MW) on Thursday night as UNM looks to win a conference match for the first time since Oct. 4.

New Mexico has completely bullied Nevada in the four matches between the schools. The Lobos have been nearly perfect each of the 12 sets they have played against Nevada.

First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Johnson Center.

Liam Cary-Eaves is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.